FHWA Resource Center
Prestressed Concrete Committee for Economic Fabrication (PCEF)
Date: January 5, 2007
Administration Resource Center
Subject: Next PCEF Meeting
February 5, 2007
Atlantic City, New Jersey
From: High Performance Structural Materials Engineer
Structures Technical Service Team
Resource Center – Baltimore, Maryland Reply to
Attn. of: HRC-BALT
To: Prestressed Concrete Committee for Economic Fabrication (PCEF) Members
Attached is a copy of the agenda for the subject meeting, which will be held on Monday, February 5, 2007, from 1-5 pm at the Tropicana Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. This will precede the annual Mid-Atlantic States Quality Assurance (QA) Workshop, which will be held at the same hotel from February 6th to 8th. It is highly recommended that participants at the PCEF meeting also attend the QA Workshop. Please note that registration is not required for the PCEF meeting, however, it is required for the QA Workshop. Attendees are asked to check the website www.midatlanticqaw.com for details about the Tropicana Hotel and the QA Workshop. When registering with the hotel, please use the code “HNJDOT7” in order to receive the conference room rate.
Members with an Internet address will receive these materials electronically. Hard copies will not be mailed to these individuals. Members without an Internet address who have an ‘**’ next to their name will receive a fax of the materials. All recipients of these materials are requested to make the information available as soon as possible to other non-Internet members in their State or Company.
Attached are copies of brochures announcing two concrete-related conferences for 2007. The first is the “Concrete Technology Forum,” with additional information found at www.ConcreteTechnologyForum.org. Next is the “First International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology.” Members are encouraged to register for these very worthwhile conferences; and there is still time to submit an abstract for the second one.
An example of voided slab design using the Load and Resistance Factor Design method has been developed by the Virginia Department of Transportation. It has been posted on the Central Atlantic Bridge Associates website, located at: http://www.caba-bridges.org/PCEF/PCEF_D.aspx. The example may also be viewed at http://www.midatlanticqaw.com, under the PCEF section.
We look forward to another successful turnout and to the active participation of all members at the meeting. In particular, State DOT attendees are requested to come prepared to discuss follow-up actions taken in regard to agenda items 7, 8 and 9. Questions or suggestions for additional agenda items may be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 962-3648.
Original signed by,
Louis N. Triandafilou, P.E.
February 5, 2007 PCEF Meeting Agenda
Tropicana Hotel, 1:00 to 5:00 pm
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1. Introductions at 1:00 pm
2. Approval of Minutes from August 29, 2006 Meeting
3. Update on Activities of Central Atlantic Bridge Associates (CABA), by Hank Bonstedt - PCAP
4. Design Parameters & Standardization Subcommittee-
Discussion of Issues led by Claude Napier, FHWA and John Martin, Virginia DOT
• Update of activities of task force on controlling end cracks
• Electronic Files of PCEF Bulb-T Details
5. Presentation on FHWA Technical Working Group for HPC Research Program, by Lou Triandafilou – FHWA Resource Center
6. Follow-up on FHWA HPC Technology Deployment Team Activities, by Lou Triandafilou - FHWA
7. Materials & Construction QC/QA Subcommittee –
Discussion led by Paul Finnerty, Maryland SHA and Bob Horwhat, Pennsylvania DOT
• Feedback from State DOT Members on implementation of Recently Adopted Quality Control Requirements Appendix -- All
• Common self-consolidating concrete specification requirements
• Interim Meeting Results
8. Feedback from State DOT members on participating in Pooled Fund Study on Delayed Ettringite Formation -- All
9. Feedback from State DOT members on Tall Pier and Elastomeric Bearing Design -- All
10. Other Issues – All Attendees
11. Adjourn by 5:00 PM