FHWA Resource Center
Next SCEF Meeting
February 6-7, 2006
January 13, 2006
High Performance Structural Materials Specialist
Structures Technical Service Team
Resource Center – Baltimore, Maryland
Structural Committee for Economic Fabrication (SCEF) Members
Attached is a copy of the agenda for the first segment of the subject meeting, which will be held on Monday evening, February 6, 2006, from 6-10 pm at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel in Norfolk, Virginia. This will precede the annual Mid-Atlantic States Quality Assurance (QA) Workshop, which will be held at the same hotel from 1 p.m. February 7 th to noon on the 9 th.
Based on the minutes from the last meeting, we note that there are still several ballots outstanding which prevent the Committee from reaching consensus on the following issues:
Section 106 – written specification on high-load multi-rotational bearings (LRFD)
Section 109 – written specification on overhead sign supports
Regional Welder Certification Program for revised flux-cored arc welding
SCEF standard for inspecting anchorages of overhead sign supports
Each State is requested to resolve these items in-house and then to designate a representative who will be able to cast a vote on each issue at the February meeting.
In addition to the regular SCEF meeting, we are pleased to attach an announcement for a basic workshop on “Calibration and Use of Coatings Inspection Instrumentation and Standards.” This workshop will be conducted on Tuesday morning, February 7 th, from 8:00 AM until Noon, at the same Sheraton Hotel. Messrs. Eric Kline and William Corbett of KTA-Tator, Inc will conduct the workshop. The objective will be to provide engineers with a hands-on demonstration of equipment and gages used by coatings inspectors, as well as a review of pertinent coatings standards and project specifications. We highly recommend the workshop for all SCEF meeting attendees, as well as anyone involved in the bridge/coatings industry.
Anyone interested in attending is asked to please notify Mr. Kline (email@example.com or 412-788-1300, x206) or Mr. Corbett (firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-788-1300, x223) by Friday, February 3, 2006.
Participants at the SCEF meeting and the Coatings Inspection Workshop are encouraged to also attend the QA Workshop. Please note that registration is not required for the SCEF meeting or the Coatings Inspection Workshop, however, it is required for the QA Workshop. Attendees are asked to check the website for details about the Sheraton hotel lodging and QA Workshop activities.
SCEF members with an Internet address will receive these materials electronically. Hard copies will not be mailed to these individuals. Members without an Internet address who have an ‘**’ next to their name will receive a fax of the materials. All recipients of these materials are requested to make the information available as soon as possible to other non-Internet members in their State or Company.
We look forward to another successful turnout and to the active participation of all members at the SCEF meeting, the Coatings Inspection Workshop and the QA Workshop. Any questions about ballot items or suggestions for additional SCEF meeting agenda items may be referred to email@example.com or (410) 962-3648.
Original signed by,
Louis N. Triandafilou, P.E.
February 6, 2006 SCEF Meeting
Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel
1. Introductions at 6:00 PM
2. Approval of Minutes from August 31, 2005 Meeting
3. Update on AISC Component Certification Program by Lou Triandafilou, FHWA Resource Center, Baltimore
4. Structural Coatings Subcommittee Report by Bruce Nelson, Maryland SHA
5. Subcommittee on Standardization of Design/ Fabrication of Overhead Sign Supports, etc. by PennDOT
Balloting of written specification
6. Regional Welder Certification Program by Bruce Abernathy, Maryland SHA
7. Balloting of FCAW programs
8. Subcommittee on Expansion Joints by Marv Blimline, Maryland SHA
Bearings Subcommittee by PennDOT
Balloting of written specification
9. Standard Diaphragm Details for Curved Girder Bridges by Charles Pettie, Virginia DOT
10. Proposed SCEF Standard for Inspecting Anchorages of Overhead Sign Supports by Bruce Abernathy, MD
Vote for adoption by the SCEF
11. AASHTO/NSBA Steel Bridge Collaboration Workshop in MD, by Lou Triandafilou, FHWA
12. Update on Electronic Data Transfer Subcommittee by Scott Krause and Ken Glidden, High Steel Structures, Inc.
13. Standard Bridge Design and Details for Short Span Plate Girders and Rolled Beams by West Virginia DOT
14. Updating of SCEF Standards by All
15. Other Issues
16. Adjourn by 10:00 PM