United States Department of Transportation Headquarters, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC
Introductions and opening remarks
Key Note: Transportation Data Needs for Performance Management and Decision Making
- Pete Stephanos, Director Proposed Office of Transportation Performance Management, Federal Highway Administration
(unfortunately, the video and slides are blank for the first 12 minutes due to technical difficulties)
|Acquiring Data Track: Modal split and Occupancy data
Collecting data on vehicle occupancy levels and transportation modal distributions can be tricky. This session will highlight current use of technologies to capture this type of data.
- Enriching data through integration
- Wade Rosado, Capability Development Leader, Cubic Transportation Systems Inc.
- Bikeshare as Transit: Strategic Expansion Through Advanced Data Visualization
- Shana Johnson, Senior Transportation Planner, Foursquare ITP
- Using Innovative Data Analysis Methods to Facilitate Communication and Transit Investment Decision Making in Montgomery County, MD
- Eric Graye, AICP, PTP, Functional Planning and Policy Division, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
- Data for Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) Analysis, Modeling, and Simulation (AMS), and Operations
- Steve Mortensen, Senior ITS Engineer, Federal Transit Administration
- High Occupancy Taxi Trips
- David Mahfouda, CEO, Bandwagon
|Processing Data Track: Data Mining and Algorithm Development
A showcase of examples of how data mining can improve transportation performance. This session will also explore the role of Big Data in this process.
- Web Based Delivery of Large Data
- D.J Swan, Sr. Pavement Management Engineer, Fugro Roadware
- Integrated Transportation Modeling Data Hub
- Brandon Nevers, Principal Engineer, Kittelson & Associates, Inc
- Research Data Exchange
- Gene McHale, Team Leader, FHWA Office of Operations R&D
- Long-term Pavement Performance Program Information Management System
- Y. Jane Jiang, Research Highway Engineer, HRDI/FHWA/DOT
- National Highway Construction Cost Index
- Vincent Fang, Sr. Economist, MacroSys, LLC
- ODOT's Use of Data for Snow & Ice Recovery Evaluation
- John MacAdam, PE, ITS Engineer, The Ohio Department of Transportation
|Using Data Track: Life Cycle Approach to Transportation Data Systems and Tools
A panel discussion with presentations on envisioning data, data tools, and decision making as a holistic system. Panel will feature individuals who are on the forefront of data integration and decision tool development.
- Life Cycle Approach to Transportation Data Systems and Tools
- Maria Chau, Senior Community Planner, Federal Highway Administration – New York Division
- Seasonal Weight Restriction Decision Process
- Jack Sickel, Transportation Information Group Manager, Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities
- FHWA Data Integration Project
- Ronald Vaughn Jr. Transportation Specialist, Office of Highway Policy Information Federal Highway Administration
- Leveraging existing data through better integration, visualization, and open access.
- Michael Pack, University of Maryland CATTLAB, Director
- STREAM: A Systematic Technology Reconnaissance, Evaluation and Adoption Methodology
- Stephen Popper, Senior Economist, RAND Corporation
- Wireless Vehicle Detection System – Real-time Count Stations
- James Cheeks, Chief of Traffic Signals, Safety, Standards and ITS, District Department of Transportation (DDOT)
|End of Morning Sessions|
|Acquiring Data Track: Using Supplementary/alternative data sources and real-time data
A focus on the use of supplementary/alternative data sources and real time data to improve transportation reporting, decision making, and performance. Social media, surveys, mobile data etc. will be highlighted.
- Use of wide-area persistent airborne surveillance to capture highway flow metrics
- Greg Jordan, President, SkyComp, Inc.
- Data Services for Transportation System Management and Performance Monitoring
- Ted Trepanier, Senior Director, Public Sector, INRIX, Inc.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) for GIS mapping
- Todd Audet, Deputy Director, The Ohio Department of Transportation, District 2
- Advanced Mobile Asset Collection
- Bill Toothill, Director Technical Services, DBI Services
- Value & Uses of Subsurface & Underground Data in Transportation
- Steven DiBenedetto , Senior Geoscientist & Technology Manager, Underground Imaging Technologies, LLC
- Deriving Intelligence from Multiple Disparate Data Sources
- Clark D. Richey, Jr., Technical Director, MarkLogic
|Processing Data Track: Visualizing Data for Decision making
Examples of how data visualization is being used to improve transportation decision making.
- FAA Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing (ASIAS) System
- Chris Knouss, Geospatial Computing Engineer, The MITRE Corporation
- Federal Lands Highway Data Visualization Project
- Dan Van Gilder, Engineering Software Support Team Leader, Eastern Federal Lands Highway Division
- Mobile data collection
- Ray Mandli, President, Mandli Communications
- Digital Roadway Interactive Visualization and Evaluation Network (DRIVE Net) data processing applications.
- Jonathan Corey, Graduate Research Assistant, University of Washington STAR Lab
- Transportation Information Mapping System
- Andrew Williams , Administrator, Office of Technical Services, Ohio Department of Transportation
- The Use of 3-D Visualization in the Road Safety Audit (RSA) Process
- Rebecca Crowe, Transportation Specialist, Federal Highway Safety
- Contemporary Systems for Map Enabling Transportation Data
- Evan Caldwell, Solution Engineer, Esri
- Features of the Redmon Digital Signage System for Commuters
- John Redmon, Principal, Redmon Group Inc.
|Using Data Track: Investment optimization tools (trade-off analysis)
Discussion and presentations that highlight examples that use of data to optimize transportation investments to get the most value from our resources. Panelist will also look at tradeoff analysis.
- A Practical Investment Optimization Tool by Means of Certainty-Uncertainty Searches
- Brian Chow, Senior Physical Scientist and Professor, RAND Corporation
- HRT Capital Project Prioritization System
- Andrew Zalewski, Transportation Planner, FourSquare Integrated Transportation Planning
- Data Visualization to improve decision-making at MD SHA
- Subrat Mahapatra, Transportation Engineering Manager, Office of Planning and Preliminary Engineering, MD State Highway Administration
- Highway Economic Requirements System (HERS): A Tool for Trade-Off Analysis
- Rabinder Baines, Senior Economist, FHWA
- FTA Transit Economic Requirements Model Lite ("TERM Lite")
- TBD Representative from FTA
- Data driven approach to the development of possible solutions to transportation corridor problems.
- Tim Lomax, Senior Research Engineer and Regents Fellow, Texas A&M Transportation Institute
- Polly Trottenberg, Under Secretary of Transportation for Policy, USDOT
|End of Afternoon Sessions|