U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Pavement Utility Cuts
- Rights-of-Way Evaluation Study for the District of Columbia, DMG-Maximus, Inc., Houston, Texas, 1997.
- Tarakji, G., The Effect of Utility Cuts on the Service Life of Pavements in San Francisco, Volume I: Study Procedure and Findings, Engineering Design Center, San Francisco State University, 1995.
- Evaluation of Utility Cut Patching on Pavements in the City of San Diego, Engineering & Research International, Inc., Savoy, IL, USA, June 1999.
- Wilde, W. J., R. O. Rasmussen, and R. Harrison, City of Austin Guide for a Comparative Cost Assessment of Utility Work Alternatives, Austin, TX, 1996.
- Arudi, R., Suggested Improvements to Cincinnati's Permit Fee Structure for the Street Right-of-Way Permit Program, Cincinnati Infrastructure Institute, University of Cincinnati, 2000.
- Shahin, M.Y., and J.A. Crovetti, Street Excavation Impact Assessment for the City of Burlington, Vermont, ERES Consultants, 1985.
- Guide for Design of Pavement Structures, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Zaniewski, J.P., B.C. Butler Jr., G. Cunningham, G.E. Elkins, M. Paggi, and R. Machemehl, Vehicle Operating Costs, Fuel Consumption, and Pavement Type and Condition Factors, FHWA-RD-80, Washington, DC, 1981.
- Winfrey, R., Motor Vehicle Running Costs for Highway Economy Studies, 3131 North Piedmont Street, Arlington, Virginia, 1963.
- de Solminihac, H.E., System Analysis of Expediting Urban Highway Construction, Ph.D. Dissertation, Civil Engineering Department, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, 1992.
- Memmott, J.L., and C.L. Dudek, A Model to Calculate the Road User Costs at Work Zones, Research Report 292-1, Texas Transportation Institute, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1981.
- Karan, M.A., R. Haas, and R. Kher, Effects of Pavement Roughness on Vehicle Speeds, Transportation Research Record 702, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 1979.
- Hazen, P.I., Speed and Pavement Condition Relationship, Highway Performance Monitoring System, Technical Report No. 4, February 1980.
- Effect of Air Pollution Regulations on Highway Construction and Maintenance, National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 191, National Research Council, Washington, DC, 1978.
- Homburger, W.S., and J.H. Kell, Fundamentals of Traffic Engineering, 12th ed., Institute of Transport Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 1989.
- Excavation in the Right-of-Way, Coordination and Regulation, American Public Works Association, Kansas City, MO, 1996.
- Iseley, Tom., and S. B. Gokhale, Trenchless Installation of Conduits Beneath Roadways, Synthesis of Highway Practice 242, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1997.
- Trenchless Technology Database, International Society for Trenchless Technology, London, 1996.
- Bennett, David, S. Ariaratnam, and C. Como, Horizontal Directional Drilling - Good Practices Guidelines, HDD Consortium, 2001.
- Trenchless Technology Guidelines, International Society for Trenchless Technology, London, 1998.
- LaFaso, E., Long-Distance Microtunneling for Gas Mains, No-Dig International, Vol. 7, No. 7, 1996.
- Vic Weston: A Voice for Construction Education, Trenchless Technology Magazine, January 1999.
- National Utility Contractors Association, Trenchless Construction Methods and Soil Compatibility Manual, 2000.
- Klein, S., Geotechnical Aspects of Pipe Jacking Projects, Proceedings of Pipeline Crossings, ASCE, March 1991, pp. 113-128.
- Boyce, G.M., Microtunneling Design Guidelines, Parsons Brinckerhoff, 1996.
- Simicevic, J, and R.L. Sterling, Guidelines for Impact Moling, Trenchless Technology Center Technical Report #2001.03, Louisiana Tech University, 2001.
- Simicevic, J, and R.L. Sterling, Guidelines for Pipe Ramming, Trenchless Technology Center Technical Report #2001.04, Louisiana Tech University, 2001.
- Redwood City, California Standard Specifications, Section 02734 - Pipe Bursting Sewer Rehabilitation System.
- Simicevic, J, and R.L. Sterling, Guidelines for Pipe Bursting, Trenchless Technology Center Technical Report #2001.02, Louisiana Tech University, 2001.
- Wall Street Journal, 27 February 2001, Page A1.
- City of Houston, Microtunneling and Pip-Jacked Tunnels, Code of Ordinances, Section 40-121 (City Ordinance No. 00-1115, § 2, 12-20-00 and Ordinance No. 01-203, § 2, 2-28-01), 2002.
- Khan, S., D. Bennett, S. McCrary, and T. Iseley, Mini-Horizontal Direction Drilling: State-of-the-Art Review, Trenchless Technology Center, Louisiana Tech University, 1994.
- Sterling, Raymond. L., Indirect Costs of Utility Placement and Repair Beneath Streets, Report MN/RC-94-20, Minnesota Department of Transportation, Minneapolis, MN, 1994.
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, 2000.
- Subsurface Utility Engineering. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Office of Engineering, Publication No. FHWA-PD-96-0004, November 1995.
- Cost Savings on Highway Projects Utilizing Subsurface Utility Engineering, Purdue University, Department of Building Construction Management, Publication No. FHWA-IF-00-014, January 2000.
- Subsurface Utility Engineering: Applications in Public Works, American Public Works Association, Kansas City, MO, 1997.
- Duncan, L., Getting in Step with the Gyro System, Directional Drilling Magazine, August 2000.
- Robots Lay Fiber-Optics in City Sewers, USA Today, 27 November 2000.