FRANCIS V. DU PONT
1953 — 1955
Commissioner/Bureau of Public Roads
Engineer — Pilot — Philanthropist — Business Executive
Francis V. du Pont was connected with the development of highways in America since the early twenties and had major accomplishments in the private, State, and Federal sectors.
He was appointed Commissioner of the Bureau of Public Roads in 1953. While serving as Commissioner, he recommended a highway program that led to legislation under which the Interstate Highway System was constructed.
The son of T. Coleman du Pont-who was the president of the giant chemical firm that bears that name in Wilmington, Delaware---Mr. du Pont was a member of the Delaware State Highway Commission from 1922 to 1949. He also served as chairman of the commission.
Mr. du Pont played a major role in the development of the financing, engineering, and initial construction of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the fifth longest suspension span in the world, which was opened to traffic on July 1, 1951.
Mr. du Pont resigned his Federal post on January 1, 1956. During his tenure as Commissioner, he was credited with stimulating interest in the Interstate System and getting it underway.