U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
|Subject:||Information: Revision to December 16, 2013, Memorandum on Specification for the National Bridge Inventory Bridge Elements (SNBIBE)||Date:||July 25, 2014|
|From:||/s/ Original Signed by
Joseph L. Hartmann, Ph.D., P.E.
Director, Office of Bridges and Structures
|To:||Federal Lands Highway Division Engineers
Director of Technical Services
This memorandum1 provides continued guidance on the collection of element level data for bridges on the National Highway System (NHS)2, issues revisions to the previously provided XML schema (attachment one) and example XML data set (attachment two). This schema provides the framework necessary to support the reporting of element level bridge condition data to Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) per 23 U.S.C. 144. Each State is required under 23 U.S.C. 144(d) to report element level data as each bridge is inspected. This guidance will aid in that task. Upon further review of the XML schema and example XML data set, it was brought to our attention of potential errors in both documents. In addition to these errors, an effort to reduce the file size through the renaming of data tags was advised. Lastly, frequently asked questions and answers that expand upon those provided in our earlier memoranda can be found in attachment three.
We will continue to keep you informed as we move forward so that you can respond to inquiries from your partners and stakeholders. Please share this update with your State DOT or Federal Agency partners and stakeholders. Mr. Douglas A. Blades, P.E. may be contacted at 202-366-4622 or (firstname.lastname@example.org,) or Mr. Derek Constable, P.E. may be contacted at 202-366-4606 or (email@example.com) for further information on this initiative.
- Attachment one: XML schema (.pdf) (as xsd)
- Attachment two: example XML data set (.pdf)
- Attachment three: SNBIBE Frequently Asked Questions (.pdf)
- L. O'Donnell DTS-RC-MAT-1
- S. Jadun DTS-RC-MAT1D
- D. Soden DTS-RC-LAK-1
- M. Leonard DTS-RC-LAK
- S. Lubkin EFLH
- H. Pakhchanian EFLH
- Q. Nguyen EFLH
- 1 Previous memorandums on the topic of collection of element level data were issued on April 16, 2012, March 12, 2013 and December 16, 2013.
- 2 Recall that section 1111 of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) modified 23 U.S.C. 144, which requires each State and appropriate Federal agency to report element level data to the Secretary.