On the 22nd of November, 1692, the Commissioners of the county, in pursuance of the Act of Assembly, laid out the Shrewsbury Parish. The Parish is one of the original thirty parishes created by the Act of 1692. Its status was changed by the American Revolution and it became the Protestant Episcopal Church in Maryland. The Revolutionary Government of Maryland passed the Declaration of Rights on Nov. 3,1776 preserved to the Church all of her property. In effect the Parish changed from a Church of England to an American Parish during the American Revolution.