#65708: St. Stephens Episcopal Church

St. Stephens Episcopal Church rises above a wintery landscape. The North Sassafras Parish was established by an Act of Assembly in 1692. The first vestry met January 10, 1693. The parish church was dedicated to the honor of Saint Stephens on March 25, 1706. The church as undergone rennovations and construction in 1737, 1823, and 1873. This parish houses such items as 18th century silver, a sundial crafted in 1718, and a bell presented by Queen Anne. The first Negro south of the Mason-Dixon line was ordained here in 1834.

Related Locations