Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC)
What is the Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) Method?
The CM/GC project delivery method consists of two phases-design and construction.
When the owner considers the design to be complete, the construction manager then has an opportunity to bid on the project based on the completed design and schedule. If the owner, designer and independent cost estimator agree that the contractor has submitted a fair price, the owner issues a construction contract and the construction manager then becomes the general contractor.
The contractor acts as the consultant during the design process and can offer constructability and pricing feedback on design options and can identify risks based on the contractor's established means and methods. As noted earlier, this process also allows the owner to be an active participant during the design process and make informed decisions on design options based on the contractor's expertise.
CM/GC Enabling Legislation
- State of Connecticut: Substitute Senate Bill No. 33: Public Act 12-70
- State of Minnesota:
- State of Nevada: Title 28 - Public Works and Planning; Chapter 338 - Public Works; Section 169
- State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations: 184.108.40.206 Construction Manager at Risk (.pdf)
- State of Vermont: Vermont Statutes Title 19: Highways Chapter 26: Design-Build Contracts
- State of Washington: Chapter 39.10 RCW: Alternative Public Works Contracting Procedures
CM/GC Sample Manuals of Instruction
- Arizona DOT: Construction Manager at Risk Guide (.pdf)
- Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority: CM/GC Procurement Manual (.pdf)
- Minnesota DOT:
- Winona Bridges: Conflict of Interest (.xls)
- Winona Bridges: Industry Outreach Presentation (.ppt)
- Winona Bridges: Industry Questions and Answers (.pdf)
- Winona Bridges: Request for Letters of Interest (.pdf)
- Winona Bridges: Letter of Interest List (.pdf)
- Winona Bridges: Shortlisted Teams (.pdf)
- Winona Bridges: RFP (.pdf)
- Winona Bridges: Sample Professional/Technical Contract (.pdf)
Request for Qualifications (RFQ) samples
Other Handy CM/GC Resources
- FHWA CM/GC Every Day Counts(EDC) materials
- FHWA EDC CM/GC Fact Sheet: 21st Century Solutions (.pdf)
- FHWA Federal Register Notice for CM/GC (.pdf)
- FHWA CM/GC Project Delivery Program Guide
- NCHRP SYNTHESIS 402 - Construction Manager-at-Risk Project Delivery for Highway Programs
- Colorado DOT: