Videos & Webinars
Highways in the Coastal Environment YouTube Video
The FHWA Hydraulic Engineering Discipline is pleased to announce the availability of the Highways in the Coastal Environment Video. This video describes FHWA-produced documents, approaches, tools and training that describe science, engineering, and nature based solutions approaches applicable to Highways in the Coastal Environment.
Field Scoping YouTube Videos
The FHWA Hydraulic Engineering Discipline is pleased to announce the availability of a series of five Field Scoping Videos. This series is intended to introduce good practices and procedures of project scoping such as visual field assessment, data collection, and data interpretation necessary for the hydraulic design of transportation infrastructure. The specific topics covered are:
- Data Mining
- Bridge Hydraulics
- Channel Assessment
- Highway Drainage
- Drainage Maintenance Issues
The approaches shown could be particularly helpful for a newly hired graduate working on the design of stream crossing and highway drainage projects as well as drainage maintenance issues. We hope that you will watch these videos and share the link with your colleagues in other functional disciplines and partner agencies.
Demonstration Flume YouTube Videos
The FHWA Hydraulic Engineering Discipline is pleased to announce the availability of a series of Demonstration Flume YouTube Videos. This series of six videos showcases the use of a portable flume to visualize open-channel flow and culvert design concepts. The specific topics covered in the videos are:
- Open Channel Flow Concepts: This video covers basic open channel flow concepts including how flow is classified.
- Grate Inlets: This video demonstrates grate inlets commonly used in storm drain catch basins.
- Culvert Hydraulics: This video shows how culvert design factors influence flow depths and velocities.
- Culvert Liners: This video demonstrates how rehabilitative liners may change culvert hydraulic performance.
- Aquatic Organism Passage: This video introduces aquatic organism passage design concepts for culverts.
- Energy Dissipators: This video demonstrates the hydraulic performance of a number of culvert energy dissipators.
These ideas and approaches are routinely used in completing highway drainage and stream crossing design projects. We hope that you will watch these videos and share the link with your colleagues in other functional disciplines and in partner agencies.
- HEC 17 Webinar A: Introduction, Floodplains, Riverine Flood Events, Non-Stationarity (Chapters 1-4) (01/25/2017)
- Presentations (.pdf, 6 mb)
- HEC 17 Webinar B: Floodplains, Extreme Events, Risk and Resilience (Chapter 5-6) (02/08/2017)
- Presentations (.pdf, 5 mb)
- HEC 17 Webinar C: Floodplains, Extreme Events, Risk and Resilience (Chapter 7-8) (02/22/2017)
- Presentations (.pdf, 4 mb)
- HEC-18 Evaluating Scour at Bridges, 5th Edition
- Overview of HDS 7