Alternative Fuel Corridors
Advancing America's 21st Century Transportation Network
With the designation of the first alternative fuel corridors, FHWA is establishing a national network of alternative fueling and charging infrastructure along national highway system corridors.
FHWA intends to support the expansion of this national network through a process that:
- provides the initial opportunity for a formal corridor designation now and in the future on a rolling basis, without a cap on the number of corridors;
- ensures that corridor designations are selected based on criteria that promote the "build out" of a national network;
- develops national signage and branding to help catalyze applicant and public interest;
- encourages multi-State and regional cooperation and collaboration; and,
- brings together a consortium of stakeholders including state agencies, utilities, alternative fuel providers, and car manufacturers to promote and advance alternative fuel corridor designations in conjunction with the Department of Energy.