Ongoing and Current Research
- Toward Low Carbon Transportation - summary of FHWA work and what transportation agencies can do.
- Alternative Fuels Pooled Fund Study - Under a pooled fund initiative, led by the Oregon DOT, FHWA and eight state DOTs, are implementing a series of workshops around the country and developing a web-based toolkit for state and local transportation agencies that will facilitate their deployment of alternative fuel vehicles and related technologies.
- Greenhouse Gas/Energy Analysis Demonstration Projects - FHWA initiated partnerships with four transportation agencies to address various topics related to planning-level GHG emissions analysis. Agencies selected were the Massachusetts DOT, Delaware Valley Regional Planning Council, East-West Gateway Council of Governments, and Southern California Association of Governments. The pilot initiative is intended to identify technical challenges related to GHG emissions analysis, information needs of planners and decision-makers, innovative approaches to evaluating emissions reduction strategies, and opportunities to build analytic and institutional capacity in this area.
- National Electric Vehicle Charging, Hydrogen, Propane and Natural Gas Fueling Corridors - Section 1413 of the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, signed into law December 2015, requires the Secretary of Transportation to designate such corridors at strategic locations along major national highways to improve the mobility of passenger and commercial vehicles that employ these technologies.Â FHWA is working on implementing this provision.Â
- Pilot Testing of FHWA's Energy and Emissions Reduction Policy Analysis Tool (EERPAT) - FHWA is supporting the testing of its EERPAT tool with four departments of transportation. These pilots will help assess the sensitivity of EERPAT to mitigation strategies and identify future enhancements to the model.