Noise Barriers - Design and Construction
Highway traffic noise has been a Federal, State, and local concern since the first noise barrier was built in 1963. This page provides guidelines on how to design a highway noise barrier that fits with its surroundings and performs its intended acoustical and structural functions at reasonable life-cycle cost; and a state-of-the-art reference of common concepts, designs, materials, and installation techniques for the professional highway engineer, the noise barrier designer, and the non-professional community participant.
- FHWA Highway Noise Barrier Design Handbook
The package addresses both acoustical and non-acoustical considerations associated with highway noise barrier design. The package provides guidance on how to design a highway noise barrier which fits its surroundings and performs its intended acoustical and structural functions, with a reasonable life-cycle cost. The package also provides a state-of-the-art reference of common concepts, designs, materials, and installation techniques for professional highway engineers and acoustical designers and planners, as well as non-professional community members.
- Distribution Memorandum - Date: August 2, 2000
- A Guide to Visual Quality in Noise Barrier Design
Abstract: This document introduces the basic principles of visual quality in general terms and illustrates the application of these principles to the design of highway noise barriers. It shows how visual design principles can be incorporated into the design process of highway noise barriers. It is intended for highway designers and others who are concerned with blending the highway into the environment.
- Distribution Memorandum
Keeping the Noise Down, Highway Traffic Noise Barriers HTML or PDF (1.3 MB)
Abstract: This brochure presents very basic information on noise barriers, i.e., it discusses the questions a person might normally ask about noise barriers. The brochure addresses the following 11 questions:
- What are noise barriers?
- When are noise barriers required?
- How is a noise barrier funded?
- How does a noise barrier work?
- What type of material is best for a noise barrier?
- How do people react to noise barriers?
- Are residents' views considered?
- Are motorists' views considered?
- Does construction of a noise barrier increase noise levels on the opposite side of the highway?
- Does construction of noise barriers on both sides of a highway increase noise levels?
- Can trees be planted to act as noise barriers?
It is intended for all audiences.
Publication Year: 2001