Highway Traffic and Construction Noise - Regulation and Guidance
To view PDF files, you need the Acrobat® Reader®.
- Highway Traffic Noise: Analysis and Abatement Guidance, December 2011 - HTML or PDF (715 Kb)
This document provides FHWA guidance on legislation, 23 CFR 772, noise fundamentals, analysis, and documentation of highway traffic noise and construction noise. This document supercedes the June 1995 Highway Traffic Noise Analysis and Abatement: Policy and Guidance document on July 13, 2011. This December 2011 document contains updates from what was originally released in July 2010 and updates provided in December 2010. This latest update reflects additional guidance that was identified during the process of updating State DOT noise policies. The following document list the topics where additional guidance was provided since the original release of this document in July 2010. Additional Guidance HTML or PDF (59Kb)
- 23 CFR 772 Final Rule and NEPA Reevaluations:HTML or PDF (20 Kb)
This document provides guidance on when a highway agency should consult the FHWA to determine if a NEPA reevaluation for a highway project is needed based on July 13, 2010 23 CFR 772 final rulemaking.
- Guidance on Quiet Pavement Pilot Programs, January 24, 2005
- Highway Traffic Noise in the United States: Problem and Response, 2006 HTML or PDF (99 KB)
This paper discusses the three-part approach to dealing with the problem of highway traffic noise in the United States. The first part, noise-compatible land use planning, is traditionally an area of local responsibility. The other two parts, source control of vehicle noise emissions and highway project noise mitigation are the joint responsibility of private industry and of Federal, State, and local governments. The paper also contains FHWA's noise regulations and is intended for the general public, elected officials, and anyone interested in learning about highway traffic noise requirements.
- Draft State Highway Agency Noise Policy Template, July 2010 - HTML or PDF (51 Kb)
The use of Draft State Highway Agency Noise Policy Template is optional. The FHWA is providing this document to assist highway agencies as they update their noise policies in accordance to the final rule of 23 CFR 772: Procedures for Abatement of Highway Traffic Noise and Construction Noise. Highway agencies that prefer to use a different format are welcome to do so.
- Noise Policy FAQs
- Consideration of Existing Noise Barrier in a Type I Noise Analysis (FHWA-HEP-12-051) - HTML or PDF (117 Kb)
- Measurement of Highway-Related Noise
Abstract: This report replaced a previous report titled "Sound Procedures for Measuring Highway Noise: Final Report," dated August 1981. The report incorporates improvements and changes in noise measurement technologies that have occurred over time and documents recommended procedures for the measurement of the following: (1) existing noise; (2) vehicle noise emissions; (3) noise barrier insertion loss; (4) construction equipment noise; (5) noise reduction due to buildings; and (6) occupational noise exposure. The report should be useful to all individuals involved with measurement activities related to highway traffic noise.
Publication Year: 1996 - Distribution Memorandum - Date: January 2, 1997
- Highway Traffic Noise Prediction Vehicle Emission Levels - May 6, 1999
Superseded and/or Cancelled Documents
- Highway Traffic Noise Analyses for Cemeteries, Trails, and Trail Crossings (HTML ) or (63 KB PDF). Note: This guidance has been superseded by the 772 final rule.
- Highway Traffic Noise--Type I Projects - October 20, 1998. Note: This guidance has been superseded by the 772 final rule.