Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)

Q&A for Indian Tribes Applying Directly to FHWA

The following questions and answers pertain to Indian tribes who will be applying directly to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for grants under the National Scenic Byways Program (NSBP). 

Who is my Indian tribe byway coordinator?  Can an applicant be their own coordinator?

Our current list of Indian tribe byway coordinators can be found at  However, this may not be a complete list.  An applicant for an Indian tribe may be their own coordinator.  However, if more than one applicant will be submitting applications for any one tribe, than a single tribal byway coordinator should be identified to review and rank the projects.

Are there any additional steps that Indian tribe byway coordinators must follow in the application process when they are applying directly to FHWA for NSBP grants?

Yes.  Applications need to be reviewed and ranked by your Indian tribe byway coordinator.  If you are the coordinator, you need to click "Review Applications" at and fill out the privilege request form.  Once you are granted privileges, you can review and rank the applications for submittal to FHWA.

Beyond eligibility, consideration of selection criteria, and consistency with tribe goals and objectives, are what other things an Indian tribe byway coordinator should review in the application?

Updated: 9/3/2013
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000