Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)

Before You Begin

  1. Review this document and the Interim Policy thoroughly.
  2. Talk with your State or Indian tribe byway coordinator to:
    • Determine whether your proposed project is eligible for funding consideration, and if your organization has the capacity to implement your proposed project using National Scenic Byways Program funds.
    • Verify the requirements in your State or within your Tribal government to administer selected projects and receive reimbursements. National Scenic Byways Program funds are provided on a reimbursement basis.
    • Confirm application deadlines.

A list of State and Indian tribe byway coordinators and FHWA division office byway contacts can be found online at

Updated: 9/3/2013
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000