Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)


The purpose of this section is to provide an overview of the "who, what, when and how" about preparing and advancing applications for funding consideration under the National Scenic Byways Program.

Applications for National Scenic Byways Program funding must be submitted to the FHWA division office by the State or Indian tribe byway coordinator. We expect each State or Indian tribe byway coordinator to determine the eligibility of a proposed project for byway funds, ensure the completeness of the application, and prioritize projects for funding consideration. FHWA division office and headquarters staff will review the applications to confirm eligibility. Applications determined to be ineligible should not be forwarded to the FHWA division office or to FHWA headquarters.

Updated: 9/3/2013
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000