Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)

Role of FHWA Division Office Byway Contact

Review and Submit Applications for National Scenic Byways Program Funds to FHWA headquarters.

  1. Advise State or Indian tribe byway coordinators on eligibility questions for proposed work, proposed sources of match, procedures required to implement projects, and how to modify the application to address Federal requirements. Confirm eligibility.

  2. Use the Online Grant Review System at to perform the initial review of submitted applications.

  3. Use the Online Grants Review System to record comments on each project and submit applications to FHWA headquarters. Advise headquarters on priorities for Indian tribe byway applications. Also deliver the printed, signed copy of the application with any attachments to FHWA headquarters.

After Projects have been Awarded

  1. Approve project agreements and authorizations necessary for obligating byways funds. Notify FHWA Headquarters when projects are ready to obligate.

  2. Advise and answer State or Indian tribe byway coordinator's questions.

  3. Approve reimbursements and close out of completed projects.

Updated: 1/31/2017
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000