Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)


Who Can Nominate a Road for National Designation?

Nominations may originate from any local government, including Indian tribal governments, or any private group or individual.

Nominations to the National Scenic Byways Program of byways on public lands may originate from the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, or the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Nominations must be submitted to FHWA by a State, an Indian tribe, or a Federal land management agency.

Therefore, when considering nominating a road for national designation, applicants are encouraged to work with their State byway coordinator, Indian tribe byway coordinator or Federal land management agency contact to determine the feasibility of preparing a successful application.

Updated: 9/3/2013
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000