FHWA BIM-Related Research
Effective Use of Geospatial Tools in Highway Construction (report), FHWA HIF-19-089, 2019
Automation in Highway Construction, FHWA-HRT-16-032, 2018
- Part I: Implementation Challenges at State Transportation Departments and Success Stories, FHWA-HRT-16-030, 2018
- Part II: Design Guidance and Guide Specification Manual, FHWA-HRT-16-031, 2018
Feasibility of Mapping and Marking Underground Utilities by State Transportation Departments, FHWA-HRT-16-019, 2018
Completed and Ongoing Research Projects
- Determination of Improved Pavement Ride Quality When Utilizing 3D Modeling and Automatic Machine Guidance (AMG)
- Objective: To assess the smoothness benefits from the use of 3D engineered models and AMG)
- Webinar: https://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/p81n6pqvvrh/.
- Integrating 3D Digital Models and Other Building Information Management Data Into Asset Management
- Objective: To develop an approach to enable the integration of BIM data into highway agency practices, standards and specifications for better asset management outcomes.
- Construction Inspection for Digital Project Delivery
- Objective: To document effective practices and management of digital data used during construction inspection, and to develop guidance for managing, disseminating, and integrating inspector’s digital data.
- Webinar: https://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/pu7t81bsizsz/.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS): Bridge Inspection - Data Quality and Handling
- Objective: To document effective use of UAS in bridge inspection and practices for how to collected data should be assessed, presented, and stored to provide reliable and actionable information to owners
- Webinar: https://connectdot.connectsolutions.com/pwi27blilxmy/.
- Leveraging Augmented Reality (AR) for Highway Construction
- Objective: To investigate the availability, accessibility, and reliability of using AR for construction inspection and review, QA/ training, and improved project management. To document potential advantages, limitations, and cost of using AR.
- TechBrief: Leveraging Augmented Reality for Highway Construction, FHWA-HRT-20-037, 2020