How to use the PlaceFit Web Tool
These are the steps for using the toolkit:
- Begin by exploring the tool; play with it a while to see what it contains:
- Familiarize yourself with the primary characteristics, and think about which of these are most important to you and your family.
- Familiarize yourself with the secondary characteristics listed under each primary characteristic.
- Be aware that the resulting web information from existing websites come in different formats: The Top/The Best/The Most of a Characteristic; Locations based on a rating of a variety of factors; and basic raw data. The titles and icons can help identify what kind of results you can expect.
- Next, make a list of characteristics that are important to you and your family, and then prioritize them, in case you cannot have everything. If the State is a "given," start thinking about neighboring towns and communities.
- Start your search and take note of the websites you found most useful, to show the family. Some resources may appear under multiple characteristics because of their information.
- If there is no resource covering what you need, consider looking for a location website. State and Local Chambers of Commerce, Planning Offices, and Boards of Education can be full of useful information. Note the website link so you can find it again, or call and ask where to get more information.
- To navigate within the tool, links have been provides. You can use these links to move to any step in the search and retain your choices:
- View the results provided by PlaceFit. Access, save, and print the resources you found useful.
The PlaceFit Tool is a flexible tool that can help you find a community that can fit some of your families' likes and needs. It might not answer every question you have, but it brings a lot of information about communities within your grasp in one location. And it helps crystalize in your mind the things you want to know more about in a community you are considering.
To offer updates to existing websites or new information please email Brenda Kragh at Brenda.Kragh@dot.gov. FHWA will make periodic updates to the tool.
Back to the Placefit tool.