- The "SAFETEA-LU Planning: Illustrative Examples" report is intended to support timely accommodation of SAFETEA-LU provisions by presenting examples of current practice from metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) and state departments of transportation (DOTs) to illustrate a range of approaches for addressing several selected planning provisions. The "illustrative examples" presented in this report were drawn from a cross-section of large and small MPOs and DOTs and are offered for consideration by all practitioners as they formulate and implement their own plans to achieve SAFETEA-LU compliance.
- The Transportation Planning Capacity Building website has more in depth information about and resources for Metropolitan Transportation Planning. The MPO Database can assist you in finding and contacting peers with similar characteristics.
- The FHWA/FTA wrote "A Guide to Transportation Decisionmaking" to help to understand how transportation decisions are made at the local, state, and national levels.
- Information on Noteworthy Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Practices: Cooperative Revenue Forecasting and Annual Listings of Obligated Projects (or PDF, 716KB).
- The MPO Role in Preparing for Security paper outlines possible roles for MPOs in a regional strategy for handling security/disaster incidents. The appropriate role depends upon the political and institutional context for that region and the expertise and capabilities of the MPO staff.
- The Transportation Management Area Planning Certification Review Primer provides a basic understanding of the key concepts and expectations addressed through a review, along with references to pertinent laws, regulations, policies, and other resources.
- The Urban Transportation Planning in the United States: An Historical Overview focuses on key events in the evolution of urban transportation planning including developments in technical procedures, philosophy, processes, and institutions.