The page you requested has moved and you've automatically been taken to its new location.

Please update your link or bookmark after closing this notice.

Skip to content U.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway AdministrationU.S. Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration
Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty (HEP)

Low Income Calculations - 49 CFR 24.402(b)(2)(ii)


The Uniform Act provides, in part, for relocation assistance and payments to eligible persons displaced from their homes, businesses and farms as a direct result of a Federally funded program or project. Residential tenants and owner-occupants of 90 days or more that are displaced from their dwellings may be eligible for a replacement housing payment for rental assistance or down payment assistance. In order to determine the amount of a rental assistance payment under the URA regulations (49 CFR 24.402), the base monthly rental for the displacement dwelling must be determined. 49 CFR 24.402(b)(2)(ii) prescribes the method to determine whether a displaced person should be classified as "low income" and thereby requiring thirty (30) percent of the displaced person's average monthly gross household income to be considered in their base monthly rental calculation.)

URA Low Income Calculation Example

HUD's Low Income Limit Technical Resources. The low income resources available through the links below must be used when making a low income calculation to determine the amount of a rental assistance payment under 49 CFR 24.402. Note: The 2016 income limits became effective on 3/28/2016. All income calculations made on or before 3/27/2016 must use the 2015 tables below.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Updated: 6/3/2016
HEP Home Planning Environment Real Estate
Federal Highway Administration | 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE | Washington, DC 20590 | 202-366-4000