HERS-ST Highway Economic Requirements System - State Version: User's Guide
Chapter 4 Installing the Software
This chapter specifies the hardware required for stand-alone operation of HERS-ST and outlines the procedures for installing HERS-ST.
Windows NT, 2000, or XP Professional users must have administrative privileges to install HERS-ST.
- Personal Computer with Pentium III 400 MHz (or equivalent) minimum
- Any of the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems including 98/ME/NT/4.0/2000 or XP with the latest Service Pack (Windows 2000 SP2 or higher recommended)
- 128 MB of RAM (256 MB or higher recommended)
- 100 MB of Free Disk Space (if minimum data installed)
- Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher (to view documentation)
- CD-ROM drive
- SVGA (800x600) or higher-resolution monitor
This is the recommended configuration when using a highway data set of approximately 20,000 sections. Users should consider adding an additional 128 MB of RAM for each 20,000-section increase in highway data size.
- Insert the HERS-ST v4.x CD into the CD drive on the computer.
- The installation should automatically start and the HERS-ST Installation Main Window should be displayed. If this does not occur, browse to the drive where the HERS-ST CD is located and double-click on the file ‘setup.exe'.
- From the Main Window (Figure 4-1), select ‘Install HERS-ST Software'.
- A series of windows will prompt you for different information during the installation process. It is recommended that the default directory locations be used.
- If the necessary Microsoft support files do not exist on the target PC, they will be installed, and it will be necessary to reboot the computer. The installation routine will then resume installing the remaining components of HERS-ST.
- Upon completion of the installation, a new Start Menu group, HERS-ST, will be created.
- The application may be started by selecting ‘Start / Programs / HERSST / HERS-ST.
HERS-ST is intended for and installed for single-user utilization. It is possible to configure the environment to utilize files on a network-based file server.
If you are installing HERS-ST under an account that differs from the user's, we recommend using the default installation locations and options.
A total of three reboot operations may be necessary if this is the first time Microsoft Active Data Object or Microsoft Jet have been installed on this computer.
Figure 4-1. Main HERS-ST Installation Screen