HERS-ST Workshop Summary
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Office of Asset Management, in cooperation with the FHWA Division Office and Department of Transportation, offers a free, one day hands on workshop on the application and use of the Highway Economic Requirements System - State Version software. The workshop walks the participants through the step-by-step process in using the software; how to import state highway data, analyze the data and generate reports, charts/graphs and GIS maps. The workshop does not require prior training other than the participant should be familiar with computers and windows based software.
What is HERS-ST?
- A computer model designed specifically for State Departments of Transportation, but can be utilized by academia and local governments, such as Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
- A decision tool used to analyze highway "needs" for programming & planning
- Answers questions such as:
- What level of capital expenditure is justified on benefit-cost grounds?
- What user cost level will result from a given stream of investment?
- What investment level is required to achieve a certain level of performance?
- What is the cost, over 20 years, of correcting all existing and accruing highway deficiencies?
The workshop is appropriate for anyone interested in the application of economic-engineering analysis to help determine highway infrastructure needs for programming & planning. Potential participants include the managers and staff of the State and local Department of Transportations, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, the FHWA Division Office, private industry, and academia.
Location, Date & Duration:
- Location: Training facility selected by state or local agency. (A computer lab is preferable)
- Date: Coordinated with state or local agency and FHWA Division Office
- Duration: The typical one-day workshop starts at 8:00 AM and completes by 4:00 PM. There is an hour break for lunch and a series of shorter breaks over the course of the day.
A Typical Workshop Agenda
|7:45 AM - 8:00 AM||Sign In|
|8:00 AM - 9:00 AM||Overview of HERS-ST|
|9:00 AM - 9:10 AM||Break|
|9:10 AM - 10:10 AM||Exercise 1 - Getting Started
Exercise 2 - Adjusting Initial Settings
|10:10 AM - 10:20 AM||Break|
|10:20 AM - 11:30 AM||Exercise 3 - Working with the Highway Data
Exercise 4 - State Improvements
|11:30 AM - 12:30 PM||Lunch|
|12:30 PM - 1:30 PM||Exercise 5 - Tabular Output
Exercise 6 - Section Output
|1:30 PM - 1:40 PM||Break|
|1:40 PM - 2:40 PM||Exercise 7 - Ad-hoc Tables and Reports
Exercise 8 - Creating and Modifying Charts
|2:40 PM - 2:50 PM||Break|
|2:50 PM - 3:40 PM||Exercise 9 - GIS Features|
|3:40 PM - 4:00 PM||Wrap-up (final question & answer session, general discussion)|
|4:00 PM||Workshop Adjourned|