Construction Program Management and Inspection Guide
Appendix G (continued)
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
CONSTRUCTION INSPECTION REPORT
[ X ]
|DATE OF INSPECTION
[ M / D / YY ]
|DATE OF REPORT
[ M / D / YY ]
[ XXXXX-XXX-X(XXX)XN ]
|INSPECTION MADE BY
[ Name, Title ]
|QUALITY OF WORK
|PROGRESS OF WORK
|IN COMPANY WITH|
[ Name, Title ]
|__ Process Review/Product Evaluation __ Inspection-In-Depth __ Project __ Final|
|LOCATION:||[ fill in the blank ]|
|PROJECT DESCRIPTION/WORK TYPE:||[ fill in the blank ]|
|PROJECT INFORMATION:||[ Acquire a copy of Contract Award Summary once at the beginning of the project ]|
|CONTRACTOR||[ Name ]|
|[ Address ]|
|[ City ]|
|[ Phone ]|
|CONTRACT AMOUNT||[ $XXXX ]|
|STATE CONTRACT OR EA NO.||[ XX-XXXXXX ]|
|RESIDENT ENGINEER [ RE ]||[ Name ]|
|[ Address ]|
|[ City ]|
|[ Phone ]|
|[ Fax ]|
|[ E-mail ]|
|CONTRACT TIME SUMMARY:||[ Acquire a copy of Weekly Statement of Working Days andProgress Payment Voucher after each construction inspection ]|
|STATUS OF CONTRACT TIME AS OF||[ M/D/YY ]||TIME EXTENSIONS||[ XX ] *|
|CONTRACT AWARDED||[ M/D/YY ]||NON-WORKING DAYS||[ XX ]|
|FIRST WORKDAY||[ M/D/YY ]||REVISED WORKING DAYS||[ XX ]|
|ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE||[ M/D/YY ]||TOTAL WORKING DAYS TO DATE||[ XX ]|
|WORKING DAYS IN CONTRACT||[ XX ]||REMAINING WORKING DAYS||[ XX ]|
|* Note: If a Contract Change Order is non-participating then days are non-participating.|
|PURPOSE OF INSPECTION:||The purpose of this inspection was to review and discuss the completed work, work in progress, and to evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the contract administration performed by the Department.|
|WORK COMPLETED (Comments):|
|CONTROLLING ITEM (Comments):|
|WORK IN PROGRESS (Comments):|
CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES OBSERVED (Comments):
[ Photos of the project and any current work that may be taking place ]
Work zone safety: (note any of the following)
- Cones, drums, tabular delineators, barricades (type I, II, III)
- Concrete barriers
- Pavement markings
- Workers, equipment, material
- Clear zone
- Use of Intelligent Transportation Systems
|UPCOMING WORK (report)|| |
- Is the uniform filing system being used?
- The following records were reviewed at the construction field office:
- CONTRACT CHANGE ORDERS (list of approved and pending)
- To date, a total of (XX) CCOs have been issued for this project and are considered minor change orders. Since the last inspection of (M/D/YY), the following minor CCOs have been updated or issued for this project.
- FHWA has reviewed and issued prior approvals for CCO# (XX).
- Were there any CCOs requiring prior approval that were executed without receiving prior approval or prior to making a contact with FHWA?
- If so, what steps are being taken to assure that FHWA sees these major CCOs in the future?
- Were there any CCOs that might cause an environmental issue?
- How is contingency balance on the contract being tracked?
- NOTICE OF POTENTIAL CLAIM (NOPC)
- Up to now how many NOPCs have you received from the contractor for your job?
- What are the related issues?
- How many NOPCs were found to have no merit?
- How many NOPCs did the contractor drop?
- How many NOPCs were considered incomplete (i.e. missing costs, reference to correct plan or specification, reason for submittal)?
- How many NOPCs were resolved to the satisfaction of both parties?
- Are all NOPCs on file?
- MATERIAL TESTING - Test reports (were or were not) reviewed.
- Were forms TL-29 and HC-30 on file?
- Are Certifications of Compliance being filed?
- If so, do they contain the required information?
- Are "Buy America" requirements included on invoices and certifications for all iron and steel products?
- Are Acceptance Sampling and Testing Reports in the files?
- Is there a "Summary Log" of tests?
- What types of material have been tested for this project? Are they on file?
- Were the materials sampling and testing conducted at the required frequencies shown in the Construction Manual?
- Is the frequency of tests being monitored?
- Are failed tests documented in the files with the cross-references to re-tests?
- Does the Resident Engineer see the test reports?
- Have any disputes resulted from failing tests? If yes, what were the solutions?
- Are there any signed material certifications on file?
- Are there any approved mix designs for asphalt cement and portland cement concrete?
- Are trial batch test results properly identified and acceptable?
- Review the construction area and the contractor on-site yard; check to make sure foreign iron and steel are not being incorporated into the project.
- INDEPENDENT ASSURANCE RECORDS - Forms TL-0100, TL-0108T, TL-0108L, etc.
- Are copies of the material tester's certification in the project files? If not, where?
- Has a consultant been hired to do the materials testing for this project? If so, is there a copy of the consultant material tester's certifications in the project files?
- DISADVANTAGED BUSINESS ENTERPRISE (DBE) - A review of the DBE records indicated the following:
- Is a copy of the contract Bidder DBE Information Form in the project files?
- What was the contract DBE goal?
- What is the contractor's DBE goal?
- If the contractor's goal is less than the contract goal, is there a "good faith" statement in the project files?
- How are you checking for DBE goal compliance and that the DBEs listed are performing a commercial useful function? By payrolls, interviews, diaries, or material invoices? Any changes made?
- RESIDENT ENGINEER'S DAILY DIARIES
- Records reviewed and (were or were not) current, thorough, well organized, neat, and up to date.
- LABOR COMPLIANCE
- Were/were not any withholdings made by the Department.
- Are diaries spot-checked against certified payrolls?
- What is the established method?
- EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY WAGE RATE POSTERS
- Are the Federal posters posted for every worker to see at, or near, the Contractor's office at the construction site, or at the contractor worker's central gathering point?
- EMPLOYEE INTERVIEWS
- Are employee interviews being conducted? Findings? Frequency?
- FEDERAL TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
- Are training requirements included in the contract?
- Is there documentation to show that the contractor and/or subcontractors are meeting the apprenticeship (training) goal?
- PROMPT PAYMENT
- Are the subcontractor prompt payment requirements in the contract (CM 3-807)?
- Are they being followed?
- ENVIRONMENTAL COMMITMENTS
- Is the environmental document or Project Report for this project in the Resident Engineer's files?
- Are you aware of any environmental commitments on your project? If there are some environmental commitments on your project, then what is your action plan to work with the Contractor to commit these requirements?
- Is the construction project adhering to the mitigation requirements in the environmental document? How?
- PROGRESS PAYMENT
- Are there on file any Contractor-submitted monthly lists of items and quantities for payment?
- Review the estimate for accuracy prior to its being approved for payment.
- What do you do to prevent double payment of contract items?
- TRAFFIC CONTROL
- Has the State approved a traffic contingency plan from the Contractor for the job?
- What does the contingency plan include?
- Were the Contractor's traffic control plans adequate?
- Were they approved by the Resident Engineer and when (before or after construction began)
- Were any substantial changes made to the traffic control plans? If so, would these changes result in additional costs and/or delays or savings?
- A drive through the project (day and/or night) for traffic control was made. Project's traffic control measures appeared to be (adequate/not adequate). (e.g., signs clean, reflective, distance, etc.)
- Records reviewed and there (were XX or were not) injury/fatal/non-fatal accidents reported within the construction zone.
- Meeting scheduled every (XX) weeks.
- CRITICAL PATH METHOD SCHEDULE
- (XX) Revisions have been made and (were or were not) available for our review.
- PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING
- Records reviewed and the attendee list (were or were not) found.
- STORM WATER POLLUTION PREVENTION PLAN (SWPPP)
- Approved by the Resident Engineer? Date? Before construction started? (yes/no)
- Has the project's SWPPP been updated to reflect the recent changes required by State Water Resource Board?
- Is the updated SWPPP on file?
- Any problems?
- UTILITY/RIGHT-OF-WAY DELAYS
- There were/were not any utility/ROW delays at this review.
- PUBLIC NOTIFICATION
- News release notices were/were not sent out notifying the public of construction activities taking place.
FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS:
Special attention is being given to environmental permits with the resource agencies. Overall, the project seemed to be going well and appeared to be in accordance with plans and specifications.
[ Note ]
To date, the overall progress of the contract and the quality of work are satisfactory/non-satisfactory.
|* * *|
|cc:||(e-mail) (Name), HTA-CA|
|cc:||(mail) (Name), Caltrans District X (Deputy Director for Construction)|
(REs name), Caltrans District X (Construction)
Form FHWA 1446A (Rev. 2-03) California Division