Accelerating Project Delivery Methods
Design-Build Project Delivery Method
The way to accelerate project delivery is to combine the design and construction phases into a single contract. DB does just that. Whereas the traditional DBB approach takes these steps in sequence, DB allows them to overlap. There is a single phase for the procurement of a firm who is responsible for both design and construction. The contractor is involved early in the design, so the designer can tailor plans to contractor capabilities from the onset.
- Design-Build Contracting for Highway Projects - A Performance Assessment, May 2005, Tom Warne and Associates, LLC
- Caltrans Alternative Procurement Guide
The Project Delivery Systems Owner's Manual offers in-depth help to owners on selecting the appropriate project delivery system for their project. This valuable publication includes chapter-length discussions on each of the major sequential delivery processes, as well as full chapters covering the new integrated delivery options.
Learn design-build basics such as definitions and background, the application of this method, the advantages and disadvantages that owners and designers need to understand, the difference between design-build in the private and public sectors, variations of this delivery method, and guidance on how to manage risk and attain rewards.
Design/Contract-Build enables the owner to gain many of the advantages of integrated delivery (such as design-build) while retaining full control over the process.
Find out key differences in design-build versus the design-build-operate delivery systems as well as the long- and short-term opportunities, obligations, responsibilities, and liabilities that exist.
State DOT Design-Build Guidance
Design-Build Procurement Documents
- Finnish Road Enterprise - "Innovative Project Delivery Methods for Infrastructure An International Perspective"
- PennDOT Innovative Bidding Toolkit
- AIA / AGC Primer on Project Delivery
- Design-Build Contracting for Highway Projects – A Performance Assessment
Authority/Legal Basis – Laws
- Title 23 U.S.C. 112(b)(3) provides the FHWA's statutory requirements for the design-build project delivery method.
- Title 23 C.F.R. Part 636 provides the FHWA's regulatory policy for the design-build project delivery method.