Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems Quick Facts
- Onsite construction time is greatly reduced by PBES, since components can be built offsite while earthwork and foundation construction is underway.
- Using PBES minimizes traffic disruptions by reducing the time and space needed for construction.
- PBES reduces costs by reducing construction time.
- Work zone safety is increased with PBES, since it reduces the total number of workers and limits their exposure to moving traffic.
- The PBES uses consistent materials and methods. This contributes to uniform quality in bridge components.
- PBES improves the constructability of bridge designs by controlling the manufacturing environments. Increasingly, innovative bridge designers and builders are finding ways to prefabricate entire segments of the superstructure.
- By minimizing the site access footprint, PBES reduces environmental impacts. This may be essential in wetlands or other environmentally sensitive locations.
- Bridges installed using PBES with durable field connections can have a service life of 75 to 100 years.
- PBES is effective in large and small projects. Applications range from deck replacements, superstructure and substructure elements, to total superstructure replacements to complete bridge replacements.