Transportation Asset Management Case Studies
The Colorado Experience
What Has CDOT Learned?
A major obstacle to change at CDOT was the reasoning, "We have always done it this way." But, over time, the department has developed a more visionary leadership and a culture more open to change. Many lessons have been learned from data integration and Asset Management efforts:
- An agency's governance structure should be assessed before change is initiated.
- "One-size" improvements do not address all problems-tailored applications are often needed.
- A task force that represents various data owners helps to build consensus and acceptance of the importance of data-supported decisions.
- The investment category analysis approach helps staff to step back and see the whole picture.
- Upper management support is critical.
- Acceptance by mid-level management and employees is vital to success.