Workforce Development & Disadvantaged Business Enterprises
|On-the-Job Training Supportive Services Program (OJT-SS)||$ 10 M||$ 10 M|
|Disadvantaged Business Enterprises Supportive Services Program (DBE-SS)||$ 10 M||$ 10 M|
MAP-21 continues programs designed to foster the training and development of surface transportation-related workforces and to support disadvantaged business enterprises (DBEs).
Statutory citation(s): MAP-21 §1101(b), 1109, 52004(4)(A); 23 USC 104(a), 140(b)-(c), 504(e)
Funded by contract authority from the Highway Account of the Highway Trust Fund, to remain available until expended. [§1105; 23 USC 104(a), 140(b)-(c)] Funds are subject to the overall Federal-aid obligation limitation.
The OJT-SS and DBE-SS programs are each funded via a takedown of $10 million (for each of FY 2013 and FY 2014) from the funding that MAP-21 authorizes for FHWA's administrative expenses. [§1109; 23 USC 140(b)-(c)]
MAP-21 continues the 10% national aspirational goal for use of small business concerns owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals. [§1101(b)]
MAP-21 makes no change to the manner in which FHWA is to administer the OJT-SS program.
MAP-21 makes no change to the manner in which FHWA is to administer the DBE-SS program.
Other funding for workforce development
Subject to project approval by the Secretary, a State may use apportioned funds (except Metro Planning) for surface transportation workforce development, training, and education. All SAFETEA-LU eligibilities continue, plus new eligibility for National Highway Institute (NHI) courses and for local technical assistance programs. Eligible activities include –
- tuition and direct educational expenses (other than salaries) in connection with the education and training of employees of State and local transportation agencies;
- employee professional development;
- student internships;
- university or community college support;
- education activities, including outreach, to develop interest and promote participation in surface transportation careers;
- NHI course participation; and
- local technical assistance programs (LTAP). [§52004(4)(A); 23 USC 504(e)]
100% for OJT-SS and DBE-SS.
Formula funds used for workforce development, training, and education –
- are generally eligible for a 100% Federal share [§52004; 23 USC 504(e)(2)], except that--
- LTAP activities are eligible for a Federal share of only 50% [§52004; 23 USC 504(b)(3)(A)(i)]; and
- amounts provided for Surface Transportation Workforce Development, Training, and Education or for State Planning and Research may be applied toward the non-Federal share for LTAP projects, up to 100%. [§52004; 23 USC 504(b)(3)(A)(ii)]