Report on Determining the Reactivity of Concrete Aggregates and Selecting Appropriate Measures for Preventing Deleterious Expansion in New Concrete Construction
Table of Contents
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 General Approach
- 3.0 Testing To Determine Aggregate React
- 3.1. Use of Field Performance History
- 3.2. Petrographic Assessment
- 3.3. Determination of Potential Alkali-Carbonate Reactive Rocks by Chemical Composition, CSA A23.2-26A
- 3.4. Accelerated Mortar Bar Test, ASTM C 1260
- 3.5. Concrete Prism Test, ASTM C 1293
- 3.6. Interpretation of Results from Laboratory Tests
- 3.7. Risk Evaluation
- 3.8. Other Test Methods
- 4.0 Preventing Damaging Expansion In Concrete Containing Alkali-Silica Reactive Aggregates
- 4.1. Performance Testing Using the Concrete Prism Test (CPT)
- 4.2. Performance Testing Using the Accelerated Mortar Bar Test (AMBT)
- 4.3. Prescriptive Approach for Selecting Preventive Measures
- 5.0 Summary
- 6.0 References
This document is disseminated under the sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Transportation in the interest of information exchange. The U.S. Government assumes no liability for the use of information contained in this document.
This report does not constitute a standard, specification, or regulation.
Quality Assurance Statement
The Federal Highway Administration provides high-quality information to serve Government, industry, and the public in a manner that promotes public understanding. Standards and policies are used to ensure and maximize the quality, objectivity, utility, and integrity of its information. FHWA periodically reviews quality issues and adjusts its programs and processes to ensure continuous quality improvement.
Technical Report Documentation Page
1. Report No.
2. Government Accession No.
3. Recipient’s Catalog No.
4. Title and Subtitle
5. Report Date
6. Performing Organization Code
8. Performing Organization Report No.
9. Performing Organization Name and Address
10. Work Unit No. (TRAIS)
11. Contract or Grant No.
12. Sponsoring Agency Name and Address
13. Type of Report and Period Covered
14. Sponsoring Agency Code
15. Supplementary Notes
This report describes approaches for identifying deleteriously reactive aggregates and selecting appropriate preventive measures to minimize the risk of expansion when such aggregates are used in concrete. Preventive measures include avoiding the reactive aggregate, limiting the alkali content of the concrete, using supplementary cementing materials, using lithium-based admixtures, or a combination of these strategies.
17. Key Word
18. Distribution Statement
19. Security Classif. (of this report)
20. Security Classif. (of this page)
21. No. of Pages
|Form DOT F 1700.7 (8-72)||Reproduction of completed page authorized.|