Program Support - The group provides technical assistance and information sharing to States and other practitioners in the field of pavement management. Current activities include Demonstration Project 108a on Multiyear Prioritization, Demonstration Project 108b on Engineering Applications of Pavement Management Data, and updating the pavement management software catalog.
Participation in National Efforts - FHWA is an active participant with several national transportation organizations, including AASHTO, Transportation Research Board (TRB), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and others. The pavement management group represents the agency in activities related to pavement management systems. Some of the ongoing efforts include the AASHTO provisional standards for measuring pavement smoothness, faulting, and cracking. The group also participates in numerous workshops and conferences promoting the use of management systems.
Research and Development - The Pavement Management Group conducts and supports studies of emerging methods and technologies in the measurement and use of network level pavement data. Current activities include developing methods of analyzing pavement performance from pavement management data and exploring the relationship between preventive maintenance and pavement management data. The group is an active participant in the research leading to the development of a rolling wheel deflectometer.
- Part 500 - Management and Monitoring Systems, 23 CFR 500, December 19, 1996 (PDF, 57 kb)
- 23 CFR 262 Non-Regulatory Supplement, Federal-Aid Policy Guide, April 8, 1999, Transmittal 2523
- Radio Frequency Identification Applications in Pavements,
- Pavement Remaining Service Interval,
- Practical Guide for Quality Management of Pavement Condition Data Collection,
- Pavement Health Track Technical Information,
- Pavement Health Track Hands-On Workbook,
- Identification of Effective Next Generation Pavement Performance Measures and Asset Management Methodologies to Support MAP-21 Performance Management Requirements (FHWA-PROJ-14-0020)
- Quality Assurance Data Analysis as a Leading Indicator for Infrastructure Condition Performance Management (FHWA-PROJ-14-0018)
- Demonstration of Network Level Pavement Structural Evaluation with Traffic Speed Deflectometer (FHWA-PROJ-13-0095)
- Application and Validation of Remaining Service Interval Framework to Pavements Through the Use of State Highway Agency Pavement Management Data (FHWA-PROJ-13-0087)
- Pavement Structural Evaluation at the Network Level (FHWA-PROJ-12-0016)