Pavement Management & Performance
Program Support - The group provides technical assistance and information sharing to States and other practitioners in the field of pavement management. Current activities include Demonstration Project 108a on Multiyear Prioritization, Demonstration Project 108b on Engineering Applications of Pavement Management Data, and updating the pavement management software catalog.
Participation in National Efforts - FHWA is an active participant with several national transportation organizations, including AASHTO, Transportation Research Board (TRB), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and others. The pavement management group represents the agency in activities related to pavement management systems. Some of the ongoing efforts include the AASHTO provisional standards for measuring pavement smoothness, faulting, and cracking. The group also participates in numerous workshops and conferences promoting the use of management systems.
Research and Development - The Pavement Management Group conducts and supports studies of emerging methods and technologies in the measurement and use of network level pavement data. Current activities include developing methods of analyzing pavement performance from pavement management data and exploring the relationship between preventive maintenance and pavement management data. The group is an active participant in the research leading to the development of a rolling wheel deflectometer.
Pavement Management Quarterly Webinars
Pavement Condition Tables
- Highway Statistics Series
- National Highway System Length - 2014 Miles by Measured Pavement Roughness - Rural
HPMS Pavement Report Card
- Summary of State Pavement Data Collection Practices - September 2015 (.pdf, 0.1 mb)
- Rolling Wheel Deflectometer
- Pavement Management Roadmap
- Use of PMS Data for Performance Monitoring with Superpave as an Example (.pdf, 1 mb)
- Long-Term Pavement Performance Program - Pavement Performance Measures and Forecasting and The Effects of Maintenance and Rehabilitation Strategy on Treatment Effectiveness,
- Application and Validation of Remaining Service Interval Framework for Pavements,
- Analysis of Construction Quality Assurance Procedures on Federally Funded Local Public Agency Projects,
- Pavement Structural Evaluation At The Network Level,
- Pavement Remaining Service Interval,
- Identification of Effective Next Generation Pavement Performance Measures and Asset Management Methodologies to Support MAP-21 Performance Management Requirements (FHWA-PROJ-14-0020)
- Quality Assurance Data Analysis as a Leading Indicator for Infrastructure Condition Performance Management (FHWA-PROJ-14-0018)
- Demonstration of Network Level Pavement Structural Evaluation with Traffic Speed Deflectometer (FHWA-PROJ-13-0095)
- Application and Validation of Remaining Service Interval Framework to Pavements Through the Use of State Highway Agency Pavement Management Data (FHWA-PROJ-13-0087)
- Pavement Structural Evaluation at the Network Level (FHWA-PROJ-12-0016)