U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Federal Highway Administration Research and Technology
Coordinating, Developing, and Delivering Highway Transportation Innovations
|This report is an archived publication and may contain dated technical, contact, and link information
Publication Number: FHWA-HRT-08-057
Date: November 2008
Long-Term Pavement Performance Computed Parameter: Frost Penetration
- NOAA Manual NOS NS 1, GeodetiGc Bench Marks, Department Of Commerce, NOAA, Rockville, MD, September 1978.
- Boyd, D. W., Normal freezing and thawing degree-days for Canada . Environment Canada Atmos. Environ., Rep. CL 14–73, 1973.
- Ali, H. A. and Tayabji, S.D., Determination of Frost Penetration in LTPP Sections , FHWA-RD-99-088, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA, 1999.
- FHWA, LTPP Seasonal Monitoring Program: Instrumentation Installation and Data Collection Guidelines, Report No. FHWA-RD-94-110, April 1994.
- FHWA, LTPP Guidelines for SMP Phase II Equipment and Instrumentation Installation, SM-35, April 10, 2000.
- FHWA, LTPP SMP Phase II Monitoring, SM-31, December 7, 1999.
- LTPP Seasonal Monitoring Program SMP II Equipment Installation/De-Installation Reports prepared by LTPP Regional Contractor Offices for individual sites.
- Computed Parameters: Freeze/Thaw Monograph for LTPP. Publication No. FHWA-RD-98-177, 1998.
- LTPP Information Management System, IMS Quality Control Checks, FHWA.
- Jiang, Y. J. and Tayabji, S.D., Analysis of Time Domain Reflectometry Data From LTPP Seasonal Monitoring Program Test Sections, Final Report, Publication No. FHWA-RD-99-115, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA, 1999.
- Larson, G., and Dempsey, B.J., Enhanced Integrated Climatic Model, Version 2.0, Final Report, Contract DTFA MN/DOT 72114, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997.
- Roberson and Siekmeier, Transportation Research Record 1709: Using a Multi-Segment TDR probe to Determine Frost Depth in Pavement Systems, 2000.
- Benson and Bosscher, Remote Field Methods to Measure Frost Depths, in Field Instrumentations of Rock and Soil, ASTM 1358, 1999.
- Lytton, R.L., Pufahl, D.E., Michalak, C.H., Liang, H.S., and Dempsey, B.J., An Integrated Model of the Climatic Effects on Pavements, Report No. FHWA-RD-90-033, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA, 1993.
- Zou and Elkins, Pavement Responses to Seasonal Variations, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads and Airfields, Minneapolis, MN, July 1994.
- E.C. Drumm and R. Meier, LTPP Data Analysis Daily and Seasonal Variations in In-situ Material Properties, NCHRP Web Document 60, November 2003.
- C.A. Richter, Seasonal Variations in the Moduli of Unbound Pavement Layers, Report No. FHWA-RD-04-079, FHWA, August 2003.
- Farrington, S.P., M. L. Gildea, D. Dougherty, D. Rizzo, Frost Penetration Prediction and Mapping, Final Report of Contract #984024, Agency of Transportation, State of Vermont.
- Dempsey, B.J., Herlach, W.A. and Patel, A.J., The Climatic-Materials-Structural Pavement Analysis Program, Final Report, FHWA/RD-84-115, Volume 3, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, 1985.
- Liu, S.J. and Lytton, R.L., Environmental Effects on Pavement Drainage, Volume IV, Report No. FHWA-DTFH61-87-C-00057, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, 1985.
- Guymon, G.L., Berg, R.L., and Johnston, T.C., Mathematical Model of Frost Heave and Thaw Settlement in Pavements, Report: U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, 1986.
- D. Zollinger, S. Lee, J. Puccinelli, N. Jackson, Long Term Pavement Performance Computed Parameter: Moisture Content, Final Report, Publication No. FHWA-HRT-08-030, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA, 2008.