FHWA promotes the use and understanding of bridge management systems. Bridge management systems assist bridge owners in selecting and performing work that is the right activity, to the right bridge, at the right time, and at the right cost. Bridge management systems help bridge owners achieve their bridge performance objectives and goals, and maximize returns on investment.
There have been a number of recent bridge management accomplishments some of which include completion of six regional bridge management peer exchanges, completion of targeted State bridge management process improvement reviews, publishing several bridge management case studies, completion of national conferences, and the development of web based training.
A bridge management software tool named AASHTOWare Bridge Management (formerly known as Pontis) was developed in the early 1990's under an FHWA contract. The software became an AASHTO product in 1994. For more information on AASHTOWare Bridge Management see their website located at: http://www.aashtoware.org/Bridge/Pages/Management.aspx?PID=2.
- Asset Management Guide for Local Agency Bridges in Michigan (.pdf)
- Bridge Management Questionnaire Report (.pdf, 2 mb)
- Bridge Management Using Performance Models
- Improving FHWA's Ability to Assess Highway Infrastructure Health National Meeting Report (.pdf, 1 mb)
- Measuring Performance Among State DOTs Sharing Best Practices, Comparative Analysis of Bridge Condition (.pdf, 1.4 mb)
- NCHRP 12-67 Multi-objective optimization for Bridge Management Systems
- NCHRP 14-23 Practical Bridge Preservation Actions and Investment Strategies
- NCHRP Report 107: Risk-Based Management Guidelines for Scour at Bridges with Unknown Foundations (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 483: Bridge Life-Cycle Cost Analysis (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 608: GASB 34--Methods for Condition Assessment and Preservation (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 632: An Asset-Management Framework for the Interstate Highway System (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 668: Framework for a National Database System for Maintenance Actions on Highway Bridges (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 688: Determining Highway Maintenance Cost (.pdf)
- NCHRP Report 742: Communicating the Value of Preservation (.pdf)
- NCHRP Synthesis 397 Bridge Management Systems for Transportation Agency Decision Making (.pdf, 2.8 mb)
- Proceedings of the 2011 National Bridge Management, Inspection and Preservation Conference: Beyond the Short Term (.pdf, 2 mb)
- Washington State DOT: Determining the Cost/Benefit of Routine Maintenance Cleaning on Steel Bridges to Prevent Structural Deterioration (.pdf)
Transportation Asset Management Case Studies
- Bridge Management Practices in Idaho, Michigan and Virginia
- Bridge Management Experiences of California, Florida, and South Dakota
- Culvert Management Systems: Alabama, Maryland, Minnesota, and Shelby County