50th Anniversary of the Interstate Highway System - The Interstate Kids' Section
Welcome to the Interstate Kids' Section
And I Should Care Why?
The Interstate System is 50 years old.
Maybe you are thinking, "Whatever!"
Okay, that’s fair. After all, the Interstate System will be there for you whether you care or not. It’s not like we’re going to ground you if you never heard of the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956!
But maybe you fall into one of these categories:
- I have to do a report for school.
- I’m being punished for playing "The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction" when I was supposed to be asleep.
- My sister said I’m a dope, so I will dazzle her with my knowledge of the Interstate System.
- I actually like to learn stuff.
- I’m like, you know.
Whatever your reason is, welcome to the Interstate Kids’ Section. We’ll try to make it as painless as possible.
- Things You Can Do: Fun activities that you can do in your everyday life to learn more about Interstates.
- Where It Came From: A brief look at life in America before the Interstates and some the events that led Congress to pass the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956.
- The Essential Interstate: Ten Things You Should Know About the Interstate System.
- How Do You Address Environmental Concerns While Building Interstate Road And Bridge Projects?: Before a new highway can be built, it must conform to the the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969.
- What's the Big Deal?: The Greatest Public Works Project in History has a profound effect on your daily life.
- Books You Might Enjoy
- How to Build an Interstate: Building an Interstate is complicated, so let's go through the steps and see whatâ€™s involved.
- The Changing Face of America: The Interstate System transformed our society in the second half of the 20th century. Find out how.
- Why President Dwight D. Eisenhower Understood We Needed the Interstate System