U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Mobile Concrete Technology Center: Publications
Peer Review Papers:
- Jagan Gudimettla, Mike Praul, and Jim Grove, New Quality Assurance (Acceptance/Quality Control) Tests for Building a Quality Concrete Pavement, Accepted for Publication in the Transportation Research Record, 2017.
- Jagan Gudimettla, and Gary Crawford, Resistivity Tests for Concrete - Recent Field Experience, ACI Materials Journal, July/August, 2016.
- Jim Grove, Mike Praul, Jagan Gudimettla, Peter Taylor, and Pete Capon, Keys to a Quality Culture, International Society for Concrete Pavements, 2016.
- Jagan Gudimettla, Gary Crawford, and Jim Grove, Optimizing Paving Mixtures for Durable, Cost Effective, and Sustainable Concrete, Transportation Research Record, 2016.
- Taylor, P. and Grove, J., The Role of Quality Assurance in Delivering Long-Life Concrete Pavements, 12th International Symposium ion Concrete Roads, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Grove, J., and Taylor, P., Will More Cement in Your Mixture Hurt You?, 10th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, 2012, Quebec, Canada.
- Grove, J., Jones, K., Ye, D., and Gudimettla, J., NDT Thickness Measurements for Concrete Pavements, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2012, Washington D.C.
- Elfino, M., Harikrishnan, Crawford, G., and Gudimettla, J., Comparison of Predicted Distresses between Different Input Levels Using M-E PDG for CRC Pavement, Proceedings of the First T&DI Congress, American Society of Civil Engineers Conference, Chicago, 2011.
- Grove, J., Vanikar, S., and Tayabji, S., Concrete Pavement Sustainability-Current Success and Future Opportunities, International Concrete Sustainability Conference, August 2011, Boston, MA
- Elfino, M., Harikrishnan, Gudimettla, J., and Crawford, G., Design Comparison Between 1993 AASHTO and MEPDG Using Level 1 Input for Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement: A Case Study in Virginia, CD-ROM, 89th Annual Transportation Research Board Meeting, January 2010, Washington D.C.
- Grove, J., Vanikar S., and Crawford, G., Nanotechnology-New Tools to Address Old Problems, 1st International Conference in North America on Nanotechnology, May 2010, Irvine, CA.
- Grove, J., Vanikar, S., and Wathne, L., Sustainability Opportunities for Concrete Pavements, International Conference on Sustainable Concrete Pavements: Practices, Challenges, and Directions, September 2010, Sacramento, CA.
- Grove, J., and Taylor, P., Two-Lift Construction to Address Today's Challenges, 11th International Symposium on Concrete Roads, October 2010, Seville, Spain.
- Grove, J., Cable, J., Taylor, P., Concrete Pavement Patching -Simpler Can Be Better, National Conference on Preservation, Repair, and Rehabilitation of Concrete Pavements, April 2009, St. Louis, MO.
- "Concrete Pavement Temperature Prediction and Case Studies with the FHWA HIPERPAV Models", Early age concrete properties and performance, Cement and Concrete Composites
- "Effect Of Cement and Added NaOH on Measured Expansions In ASTM C 1260 Tests", Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Alkali-Aggregate Reaction, Quebec City, Canada, pp. 483-492
- "A 'Fresh' Perspective on Measuring Air in Concrete", Proceedings of the 2003 PCI/FHWA 3rd International Symposium on High Performance Concrete, October 19-22, 2003, Orlando, Florida
- "Fresh Concrete Air Void Analyzer: A Technical Background Paper", A paper written as part of requirements for the AASHTO Technical Implementation Group.
- "Optimizing High-Performance Concrete Mixtures Using Statistical Response Surface Methods", Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Utilization of High Strength/High Performance Concrete, Sandefjord, Norway, pp. 1311-1321.
- "Measurement of the Tensile Bond Strength of a High Performance Concrete Deck Overlay," Proceedings of the PCI/FHWA/FIB International Symposium on High Performance Concrete, September 25-27, 2000, Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 449-458.
- "Use Of Nondestructive Testing For Concrete Pavements", Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, September 9-13, 2001, Orlando Florida
- "Use Of Nondestructive Testing For Transportation Structures - Case Histories" Proceedings of the 5th CANMET/ACI International Conference on Recent Advances in Concrete Technology, July 29-August 1, 2001, Singapore
- "Using Maturity Concepts to Determine Strengths of Rapid Setting Hydraulic Cement Concrete", Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, September 9-13, 2001, Orlando Florida
Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Related
- Jagan Gudimettla, Gary Crawford, Jussara Tanesi, and Ahmad Ardani, Evaluation of the Specimen Saturation Criterion for the AASHTO T336 Test Method, ASTM's Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, 2017
- Leslie McCarthy, Jagan Gudimettla, Gary Crawford, Maria Guercio, and Douglas Allen, Impacts of variability in coefficient of thermal expansion on predicted concrete pavement performance, Construction and Building Materials Journal, Volume 93, 2015
- Gudimettla, J., G. Crawford, J. Tanesi, and Ardani,A., Interlaboratory Study and Precision Statement for the AASHTO T336 Test Method. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2015, Washington D.C.
- Vandenbossche, V., Developing Recalibrated Concrete Pavement Performance Models for the Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement, NCHRP 20-01/Task 327, 2014.
- McCarty, L., Gudimettla, J., Crawford, C., Impacts of Variability in Coefficient of Thermal Expansion On Predicted Concrete Pavement Performance, Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers CD-ROM, Transportation Research Board, 2014.
- Tanesi, J., Gudimettla, J., Crawford, G., Ardani, A., Ruggedness Study on the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion of Concrete Test Method (AASHTO T336), Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2013, Washington D.C.
- Gudimettla, J., Parvini, and Crawford, G., Concrete Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Test for Quality Assurance, International Conference on Long-Life Concrete Pavement, September 2012, Seattle, WA.
- Tanesi, J., Crawford, G., Gudimettla, J., and Ardani, A., Coefficient of thermal expansion: its role on pavement design and performance, changes to test method and future plans, 2012, Journal of the American Concrete Institute.
- Hall, K., and Tayabji., Tech Brief: Coefficient of Thermal Expansion in Concrete Pavement Design, Federal Highway Administration. 2011, Washington D.C.
- Crawford, G., Concrete Coefficient of Thermal Expansion Input for MEPDG. Publication HIPT Field Memorandum. FHWA, U.S. Department of Transportation, 2010.
- Crawford, G., Gudimettla, J., and Tanesi, J., Inter-laboratory Study on Measuring Coefficient of Thermal Expansion of Concrete, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2010, Washington D.C.
- Tanesi, J., Crawford, G., Nicolaescu, Meininger, R, and Gudimettla, J., How will the new AASHTO T336-09 CTE Test Method Impact You?, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2010, Washington D.C.
- "Air Void Analyzer", Bridge Views, May 2004 (Page 3 on http://www.cement.org/pdf_files/hpc-34julaug04.pdf (.pdf, 0.2 mb))
- "Capping Cylinders for Testing &DI C Strength Concrete", Bridge Views, March/April, 2001 (Page 3 on http://www.cement.org/pdf_files/hpc-14marapr01.pdf (.pdf, 1 mb))
- "Conference Features Concrete Solutions for a New Century", Focus Newsletter, November, 2001
- "FHWA Mobile Concrete Laboratory, Transferring Advanced Concrete Technology to Our Partners," FHWA Brochure, FHWA-IF-00-028, July 2000.
- "High-Performance Concrete Pavements Come of Age", Better Roads, April 2004
- "Maturity Meters: A Concrete Success", Focus Newsletter, October 2002
- "Mobile Concrete Lab: Bringing Technology Straight to Your Door", Transporter, March, 2001
- "Mobile Concrete Lab Brings Technology Straight to You", Focus Newsletter, February, 2001
- "On the Road Testing Roads", Public Roads, July/August 2002
- "On the Road with the Mobile Concrete Laboratory", Roads and Bridges, April, 2001