Credit for first surfacing a rural U.S. public road with Portland Cement Concrete pavement is generally conceded to Wayne County, Michigan. A one-mile section of Woodward Avenue was opened on July 4th. As shown in the painting, motorists, farmers, and others users seemed to approve.
Before preparing specifications, Wayne County commissioners visited Windsor, Ontario, Canada, the first North American city to pave streets extensively with Portland Cement Concrete.
The Wayne County "first" was also preceded by:
The earliest ever Portland Cement Concrete pavement is attributed to Inverness, Scotland, in 1865.