The national Federal-aid Highway Program performance goals as established by Congress are:
- Safety - To achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads.
- Infrastructure Condition - To maintain the highway infrastructure asset system in a state of good repair
- Congestion Reduction - To achieve a significant reduction in congestion on the National Highway System
- System Reliability - To improve the efficiency of the surface transportation system
- Freight Movement and Economic Vitality - To improve the national freight network, strengthen the ability of rural communities to access national and international trade markets, and support regional economic development.
- Environmental Sustainability - To enhance the performance of the transportation system while protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
- Reduced Project Delivery Delays - To reduce project costs, promote jobs and the economy, and expedite the movement of people and goods by accelerating project completion through eliminating delays in the project development and delivery process, including reducing regulatory burdens and improving agencies' work practices