Two Performance Management Final Rules Take Effect
On October 5, 2017, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) published a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) in the Federal Register [82 FR 46427] proposing the repeal of the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) measure (which is the percent change in tailpipe CO2 emissions on the National Highway System compared to the calendar year 2017 level).
This NPRM follows a series of related rules that established a set of performance measures for State departments of transportation (State DOT) and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO) to use as required by Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) and the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act. In the last of that series of rules, published in the Federal Register on January 18, 2017 [82 FR 5970], FHWA established a number of measures. All the measures, except the GHG measure, became effective on May 20, 2017 [82 FR 22879]. The GHG measure was delayed, but it became effective on September 28, 2017 [82 FR 45179]. The FHWA received a high volume of comments both in support of and opposed to the GHG measure during the rulemaking process. After further consideration and review of U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) policy, as well as statutory provisions, the USDOT is proposing to repeal the requirement. This rulemaking provides additional opportunity for public comment and submission of information that will aid FHWA in making this determination.
May 20, 2017, the FHWA's final rule on pavement and bridge condition performance measures to address new requirements established by MAP-21 and the FAST Act will take effect.
This Pavement and Bridge Condition Performance Measures final rule, published in the Federal Register on January 18, 2017, establishes measures for State DOTs to carry out the NHPP and to assess the condition of pavements on the non-Interstate NHS; pavements on the Interstate System; and bridges carrying the NHS, including on- and off-ramps connected to the NHS.
The Final Rule and NPRM webinars information can be found on the Presentations and Webinars page.
- Pavement and Bridge Condition Performance Measures Final Rule
- System Performance/Freight/CMAQ Performance Measures Final Rule
- FAQs (.pdf)
- Backgrounder (.pdf)
- Reliability fact sheet (.pdf)
- Freight fact sheet (.pdf)
- Applicability Determination for CMAQ Measures (.pdf)
- PHED fact sheet (.pdf)
- Non-SOV fact sheet (.pdf)
- On-Road Mobile Source Emissions fact sheet (.pdf)
- GHG measure effective date published in the Federal Register
- GHG NPRM published October 5, 2017 (82 FR 46427).
- June 1 Webinar Recording
- Presentation (.pdf, 1.0 mb)
- HSIP and Safety Performance Management Measures Final Rules
- Planning Final Rule
- Asset Management Plan Final Rule
- Transit Asset Management (TAM) final rule
- Public Transportation Safety Program Final Rule