- Bernstein, Peter L. Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- Capka, J. Richard. Federal Highway Administration Order 45601a FIRE Program for Federal-Aid Division Offices,Office of Primary Interest, US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, May 19, 2006.
- Chapman, Chris, and Stephen Ward. Project Risk Management: Processes, Techniques and Insights. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
- Charette, Robert N. Applications Strategies for Risk Analysis. New York: Intertext Publications, McGraw-Hill, 1990.
- Flyvbjerg, Bent, Mette Skamris Holm, and Soren Buhl. Underestimating Costs in Public Works Projects: Error or Lie?, APA Journal, Vol. 68, no. 3, Summer 2002, pages 279 - 295.
- Grey, Stephen. Practical Risk Assessment for Project Management. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- Kanabar, Vijay. Project Risk Management. Acton, Mass.: Copley Custom Publishing Group, 1998.
- Kleim, Ralph L. and Irwin S. Ludin. Reducing Project Risk. Hampshire, England: Gower Publishing Ltd., 1997.
- Pritchard, Carl L. Risk Management: Concepts and Guidance. 2nd edition. Arlington, Va.: ESI International, 2001.
- Project Management Institute Standards Committee. A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. 3rd Edition. Newtown Square, Pa.: Project Management Institute, 2004.
- Raftery, John. Risk Analysis in Project Management. New York: Chapman & Hall, 1994.
- "The Environmental Context: SWOT Analysis", American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators Strategic Plan for 2006-2009, January 6, 2006.
- Schimmoller, Vincent F. Policy on Stewardship and Oversight of the Federal Highway Programs Memorandum, US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC, June 22, 2001.
- Wideman, R. Max. Project and Program Risk Management, PMBOK Handbook Series, Volume 6. Newtown Square, Pa.: Project Management Institute, 1998.
The websites listed below provide additional information, suggestions, examples, and tools for managing risk.
- FHWA Stewardship/ Oversight Task Force https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/stewardship/index.htm
- On Track and On Time: Risk Management for Major Projects http://www.tfhrc.gov/focus/jan06/01.htm
- State of Texas Department of Information Resources Risk Initiation Checklist http://www.dir.state.tx.us/eod/qa/risk/cheklst2.htm
- State of Texas Department of Information Resources Risk Progress Checklist http://www.dir.state.tx.us/eod/qa/risk/progress.htm
- State of Texas Department of Information Resources Risk Completion Checklist http://www.dir.state.tx.us/eod/qa/risk/checklst.htm
- Tasmanian State Government Project Risk Register Template & Guide http://www.projectmanagement.tas.gov.au/tools/proformas/pm007_riskregisterv1.0.htm
- The Pipeline Demonstration Risk Management Project http://ops.dot.gov/pubs/rsk/std/progstd.ppt#1