Knowledge :: Legislative Goals and Intent
Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
SEC. 5103. TECHNOLOGY DEPLOYMENT.
Chapter 5 of title 23, United States Code (as added by section 5101 of this title), is amended by adding at the end the following:
Sec. 503. Technology deployment
- Innovative Bridge Research and Construction Program.--
- In general. -- The Secretary shall establish and carry out a program to demonstrate the application of innovative material technology in the construction of bridges and other structures.
- Goals. -- The goals of the program shall include--
- the development of new, cost-effective innovative material highway bridge applications;
- the reduction of maintenance costs and life-cycle costs of bridges, including the costs of new construction, replacement, or rehabilitation of deficient bridges;
- the development of construction techniques to increase safety and reduce construction time and traffic congestion;
- the development of engineering design criteria for innovative products and materials for use in highway bridges and structures;
- the development of cost-effective and innovative techniques to separate vehicle and pedestrian traffic from railroad traffic;
- the development of highway bridges and structures that will withstand natural disasters, including alternative processes for the seismic retrofit of bridges; and
- the development of new nondestructive bridge evaluation technologies and techniques.
- Grants, cooperative agreements, and contracts.--
- In general. -- Under the program, the Secretary shall make grants to, and enter into cooperative agreements and contracts with--
- States, other Federal agencies, universities and colleges, private sector entities, and nonprofit organizations to pay the Federal share of the cost of research, development, and technology transfer concerning innovative materials; and
- Technology deployment. -- Of the amounts made available under subsection (a)(2)-- $1,000,000 for each of fiscal years 1998 through 2003 shall be available to carry out section 503(b)(3)(A)(i) of title 23, United States Code (relating to research development technology transfer activities);
- States to pay the Federal share of the cost of repair, rehabilitation, replacement, and new construction of bridges or structures that demonstrate the application of innovative materials.
- Technology deployment. -- Of the amounts made available under subsection (a)(2)-- $10,000,000 for fiscal year 1998, $15,000,000 for fiscal year 1999, $17,000,000 for fiscal year 2000, and $20,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2001 through 2003 shall be available to carry out section 503(b)(3)(A)(ii) of such title (relating to repair, rehabilitation, and construction).
- Applications. -- To receive a grant under this subsection, an entity described in subparagraph (A) shall submit an application to the Secretary. The application shall be in such form and contain such information as the Secretary may require. The Secretary shall select and approve the applications based on whether the project that is the subject of the grant meets the goals of the program described in paragraph (2).
- Technology and information transfer. -- The Secretary shall take such action as is necessary to ensure that the information and technology resulting from research conducted under paragraph (3) is made available to State and local transportation departments and other interested parties as specified by the Secretary.
- Federal share. -- The Federal share of the cost of a project under this section shall be determined by the Secretary.