Construction Program Management and Inspection Guide
Appendix G (continued)
PLANS, SPECIFICATIONS, AND ESTIMATES CHECKLIST
FEDERAL-AID PROJECT NO.: __________ STATE ID: __________
ROUTE: __________ COUNTY: __________ DISTRICT: __________
- Is the project non-exempt (full oversight) as per our current oversight agreement?
- Is the project included in the current Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP/TIP)? (23 CFR 450.216 and .220)
- Is the project within a Non-Attainment Area?
- Is it conformed properly? (Air Quality) (23 CFR 322(d))
- Does the project description agree with the authorization request?
- Are there any unresolved items/issues?
- Is the funding ratio correct?
- Are funds available? (Get stamped by fiscal clerk.)
- Is the project an Advanced Construction project? Assure eligibility.
- What are the environmental requirements?
- A Class I project (EIS)? (23 CFR 771.123)
- Have we made a Record of Decision?
- Is re-assessment or re-evaluation needed? (Three-year limit)
- A Class II project (Categorical Exclusion)? (23 CFR 771.117)
- CE I or CE II ?
- A Class III project (Environmental Assessment)? (23 CFR 771.119)
- Have we made a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)?
- Have all commitments outlined in the environmental document been addressed in the PS&E (23 CFR 635.309(j)) and have we received a copy of environmental commitment listing and approved it for the project?
- Are noise walls included in the project? (23 CFR 772.5)
- Are 4(f) properties involved? (23 CFR 771.135)
- If so, has approval been given either in the EIS or as a separate document?
- Civil Rights
- Are DBE Requirements met?
- Notice of DBE Participation.
- Is there a DBE Contract Goal?
- Was a public hearing required? (23 CFR 635.309(d))
- Were hearing comments considered in the project development?
- Is a 404 permit required? (23 CFR 777)
- Are mitigation or enhancement requirements of permit incorporated into the PS&E?
- Is the permit date valid?
- Is a U. S. Coast Guard permit required? (40 CFR 1500-1508)
- Is the permit date valid?
- If the project contains structures, has the Division Office Structural Engineer reviewed the plans?
- If the project is a safety improvement project, has the project been coordinated with the Division Office Safety Coordinator?
- Has the Right-of-Way been cleared? (23 CFR 635.309(b)(c) and per our ROW agreement)
- If the ROW is not clear prior to authorization do the special provisions contain:
- Restrictions on the contractor?
- An estimate as to when the ROW will be clear?
- A statement that a time extension may be granted if the property is not available a indicated in the proposal? (23 CFR 635.309(b) and 23 CFR 635.107)
- Is the project located within two miles of an airport?
- If so, has FAA/FHWA coordination been completed? (23 CFR 620.103)
- Will utilities be affected by this project? (23 CFR 645.113)
- Is the utility clearance statement on authorization request?
- Does the project require use of or adjustment to railroad facilities? If so:
- Is there a signed agreement between the railroad/SHA? (For projects that include actual adjustments, this agreement must also be approved by FHWA.) (23 CFR 646.216(d))
- Does the proposal include liability insurance requirements? (23 CFR 646.107)
- If force account work is included, have we approved the cost effectiveness determination? (23 CFR 635.309(e))
- If appropriate, has SHA stated on the Authorization Request that they have an executed City/County Agreement or will be in possession of one prior to bid opening?
- Are any materials to be supplied by the State or local agency?
- If so, has FHWA approval been given? (23 CFR 635.407)
- Is this an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) project?
- Complete National ITS Architecture and Standards Conformity Documentation Checklist.
- Is this a Mass Transit or Special Use Highway Project? 23 CFR 810)
- Has the design Checklist been completed?
- Do the plans include items required by 23 CFR 630.205.
- Title sheet including: title, scale, location sketch, index, length, conventional symbols, design data (ADT, DHV, % trucks), project number and reference to applicable standard specifications and plans?
- Typical section?
- Summary of quantities?
- Are Traffic control plans consistent with the MUTCD? (23 CFR 630.1010(a)(2))
- Are signing and pavement markings consistent with the MUTCD?
- For split-fund projects, are funding limits shown on plans?
- Have pay items been checked against construction plans to identify questionable items?
- Have they been cross-checked against summary of quantities, and engineer's estimate?
- The Date of the Field Safety Walk (FSW)?
- Has the report been reviewed?
- Have all items in FSW report, if applicable, been incorporated into the plans?
- Does the design conform to SHA's current Design and Environment Manuals?
- If there are design exceptions, have they been approved? (Review Delegation of Authority)
- Has adequate right-of-way been acquired for construction?
- Do all safety appurtenances meet NCHRP 350 criteria and are they placed in accordance with the current "Roadside Design Guide?"
- Are ADA requirements met?
- Does the proposal include:
- Form FHWA-1273 Required Contract Provisions ? (23 CFR 633)
- The Buy America Act provisions? (23 CFR 635.410)
- The current Department of Labor Minimum Wage Rates?
- Standard contract clauses on:
- Differing Site Conditions
- Suspensions of Work
- Significant changes in the character of work
- Any proprietary items? Explain.
- An incentive/disincentive clause? (Must have both)
- Has the incentive/disincentive been specifically calculated for this project?
- Have the calculations been previously submitted for our review and approval?
- Any guarantee or warranty clauses? (23 CFR 635.413)
- Are there training requirements?
- If so, are the training special provisions included?
- Are the DBE provisions included?
- DBE Special Provisions.
- Non-discrimination Clause.
- Complete Equal Opportunity Employment (EEO) Check sheet.
- A general description of the work to be performed?
- Latest applicable standard special provisions?
- Are the special provisions satisfactory?
- For Interstate asphalt paving projects does the proposal contain the asphalt concrete pavement smoothness specification?
- Are ADA, environment mitigation, and safety requirements included?
- Is the contract time realistic?
- Are any experimental features included in the project?
- If so, do you concur in their incorporation into the project and have you coordinated with the Division's Technology Transfer Engineer?
- Does the feature have an approved work plan approved by the T2 Engineer?
IV. ENGINEER'S ESTIMATE
- Does the estimate include a pay item for all work included in the plans?
- Does the estimate appropriately represent the scope and requirements of the PS&E? Has a labor, materials, equipment estimate been made or is the estimate based only on historic costs?
- Are there Federal-aid nonparticipating items included in the project?
- If so, are they listed separately in the estimate and plans?
- Is an estimate for railroad work included if needed?
- Has the engineer's estimate check sheet been completed/placed in the appropriate project file?
V. ITEMS Included with P S & E
- R/W Clearance (On authorization Request)
- Utility Clearance (On authorization Request)
- Experimental Features Work Plan
- EEO Trainees
- Inclusion on the STIP/TIP
- Environmental Re-evaluation if applicable. (Three years)
- Compliance with Environmental Mitigation Commitments
- Project Transportation Management Plan
|Checklist Completed By: