- Asset Management
- Bridges & Structures
- Federal-aid Program Administration
- Federal-aid Programs and Special Funding
- Transportation Performance Management
The Office of Infrastructure provides leadership, technical expertise, and program assistance to help sustain America's mobility in:
Policy and Guidance
- Geomatics Workflows (.pdf) (May, 2016) This Case Study highlights LiDAR technology as a surveying tool to support current transportation agency business applications and the true value of combining 3D survey data from multiple sources, such as traditional surveying equipment (i.e., robotic total stations, Global Navigation Satellite Systems or GNSS, photogrammetry, and LiDAR sensors) by the California and the North Carolina Departments of Transportation.
- As-Built Utility Surveys: A Tale of Two State Transportation Departments (.pdf) (May, 2016) Documenting the location and other important characteristics of newly installed utilities is an important component of right-of-way (ROW) management. This case study highlights a Comparison of New Programmatic Approaches in Virginia and Michigan to improving underground utility mapping to better support design, construction, and asset management.
- Guide for Efficient and Effective Utility Asset Data Collection Using Geospatial 3D Techniques (.pdf) (June, 2016) Geospatial, three-dimensional (3D), as-found utility survey technologies are key to achieving this asset management vision. These surveys integrate existing legacy utility data with new utility asset data collected with a variety of new survey technologies. When specified, integrated, and used correctly, 3D utility data can result in efficient workflows for agencies.
- Guide for Efficient Geospatial Data Acquisition using LiDAR Surveying (.pdf) (March, 2016) This guide explores how state transportation agencies (STA) are now implementing new, innovative processes and technology for managing roadway assets. This guide draws attention to the key issues that a STA must address for the optimization of data collection for use in an enterprise digital data solution. These include developing information requirements for data collection and products to be delivered for specific purposes and disciplines within the agency, and implementing the data collection program itself.
- US District Court for the District of Columbia Decision Related to Buy America Requirements (01/06/2016)
- Visit the Policy and Guidance Center
Ever wonder why Congress didn't pass the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 in 1955? Do you blame the future for our traffic problems? Did the 50th anniversary of the Interstate System in 2006 make you forget other historic milestones celebrated that year? And what's the big deal about the Interstate System anyway? These and many other highway history questions are answered on the Highway history page. In addition, you will find features such as: