Expert Task Group on Asphalt Mixtures & Construction; Asphalt Binders; and Models Technology August Attachment D Superpave Standards and Specifications
(ppt version 66 kb)
Superpave Standards and Specifications
- SEPTEMBER 2001
How well is Superpave doing?
- The level of acceptance of Standards
and specifications by the AASHTO
Member Departments is one major indicator.
- The national survey is, of course,
SHRP produced 30 standards applicable to HMA
- 18 relate directly to Superpave.
- Remaining Standards advance the HMA
- State Materials Engineers adopted these
Standards provisionally over a period
of 5 years, 1993-98.
AASHTO Provisional Standards
- The provisional have a maximum life
of 8 years. When that expires, they must
be moved to become Full Standards or
- The first batch of these standards was
adopted in 1993.
- The first batch is due to be balloted this
year for the change of Status to full standards.
The Status of Superpave Standards
- 4 standards have already become
- 8 are due to become full standards
- The remaining 6 will be moved to the
full standard status within the next 3 years.
Why do the Superpave standards
have such wide acceptance
|ETG s played a vital role.
- Continued Technical input in
refining the standards.
- Accelerated the acceptance
- ETGs are well respected by the member
departments. Members feel that the ETG
Structure should be preserved and used
as a way to do business in the future.
- AASHTO Subcommittee on Materials feels
that a full time AASHTO Staff person is
needed to support all future materials Standards.