HPMS Reassessment Framework
Vision - For HPMS to meet the transportation community's data needs in 2010 and beyond.
Mission - It is the mission of the HPMS, as an integral part of the Nation's suite of transportation databases, to provide a database and analysis process for assessing and reporting the extent, condition and performance of the Nation's highway system in the most cost-effective manner consistent with the following GOALS:
- Meet FHWA's highway stewardship responsibilities, including preserving the national interest in the NHS.
- Support Federal transportation policy analysis, planning, and performance measurement activities.
- Meet the various congressional requirements, including apportionment and the C&P report.
- Provide a publicly accessible, consistently high quality, objective, and timely national highway database.
- Provide an HPMS database, analytical tools, and FHWA technical support that meets the needs of State, regional, and local agencies.
- Evolve HPMS to a data system which: builds from the data systems of local, regional, and State governments; is connected with a common geo-referencing system; and avoids, whenever possible, collecting data which is not used by the collecting agency.
Objectives of Reassessment
- Meet new Federal needs (Policy, Safety, Operations, Infrastructure, and others).
- Explore potential change HPMS to be more useful for all states and MPOs.
- Capitalize on changing technology to enhance quality, efficiency, and data integration.
- Ensure data items meet all required needs (Definitions/standardization/change, new items, delete items.)
Phase 1 - Identify WHAT needs to be changed (in coordination with Federal agencies)
Phase 2 - Work with Stakeholders to identify HOW
For more information contact David Winter at 202-366-4631 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.