Funding Our Nation's Highway Programs and Leveling the Playing Field
Conducting the Preliminary Meeting
The purpose of the preliminary meeting is to resolve any differences
in understanding among the parties. Meeting participants should include
state agency staff [Department of Transportation (DOT), DMV], FHWA
HQ staff, FHWA division staff.
At the preliminary meeting you should:
- Review the guidelines to ensure that state, FHWA division, and
FHWA HQ staff are clear in their interpretation.
- Discuss the results of the preliminary risk assessment and identify
any follow-on actions that are required.
- Discuss any changes in the HVUT regulations or codes and how those
changes affect the previous recommendations and the current risk
- Present an overview of the last compliance review completed for
the state, including FHWA recommendations for enhancing HVUT enforcement.
- Review the sample procedures to be used for determining proof
of compliance to ensure that the sample drawn will reflect the population
of carriers. The sample can be used to detect evasion techniques
that are identified later in this course.
- Present an overview of data requests and information requirements
for the review.
- Identify the staff that will be assisting in the compliance review.
- Make sure that all parties resolve any differences in understanding.
- Discuss a timeline for conducting the review and make sure that
points where state involvement are required are interwoven into
the project schedule and clearly specified.
Link to HVUT
Compliance Review Checklist