FHWA Office of Innovative Program Delivery
The mission of the FHWA Office of Innovative Program Delivery (OIPD) is to improve transportation performance by driving innovation into action through partnerships, technology deployment and capacity building. OIPD is led by FHWA's first Chief Innovation Officer, Tony Furst. The office comprises four centers, each lead by a center Director.
OIPD works across FHWA to develop or align capacity building, technical support, and guidance to bring forward and accelerate the implementation of innovative designs, materials, construction and environmental techniques and practices, finance and revenue tools, public-private partnerships, and transportation workforce development practices and resources to help FHWA's partners meet the needs of a 21st century transportation system.
The work of the OIPD centers is advancing innovation in the transportation community.
- Provides national leadership, coordination and direction for the workforce elements of the Transportation Partnership Programs (e.g., regional workforce centers and universities and grants programs) and the On-the-Job Training component of the Federal-Aid program to advance innovative practices in workforce development.
- Seeks to leverage established Department of Labor networks and FHWA's regional workforce centers to develop opportunities for transportation workforce development external to FHWA.
- Provide national leadership in the advancement of training, technical assistance, and innovation within Local, Tribal, and Federal Land Management Agency transportation networks. The Center collaborates with a diverse mix of partners in the delivery of those services, through three programs:
- Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP)
- Tribal Technical Assistance Program (TTAP)
- Coordinated Technology Implementation Program (CTIP)
- Create a culture that has a real desire to look beyond "business as usual."
- Use innovative tools and practices that already work and giving them a boost to increase efficiencies and adaptation
- Deploy technology and foster innovation as a key FHWA business process with the Office of Federal Lands Highway (FLH)