Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT)
The AMPT is a computer-controlled hydraulic testing machine capable of subjecting a compacted asphalt mixture specimen to cyclic loading over a range of temperatures and frequencies. The device evaluates asphalt mixture properties to assess potential performance. Transportation agencies can use the AMPT to develop inputs for the structural design of flexible pavements and to obtain information helpful in monitoring mixes and performing quality assurance. The AMPT builds upon past efforts to develop a testing device for determining fundamental asphalt mixture performance properties. The current equipment and test methods have been developed to optimize both testing time and cost. The AMPT has also been known as the Simple Performance Tester (SPT) in earlier research work and references.
- Research Work
- NCHRP 9-19 Superpave Support and Performance Models Management
- NCHRP 9-29 Simple Performance Tester for Superpave Mix Design: Appendix E of NCHRP Report 629 (PDF, 6.20 MB) from this project contains detailed equipment specifications for the AMPT.
- AASHTO Standards
- R 83 - Standard Practice for Preparation of Cylindrical Performance Test Specimens Using the Superpave Gyratory Compactor (SGC) (formerly PP 60)
- T 378 - Standard Method of Test for Determining the Dynamic Modulus and Flow Number for Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) Using the Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT) (formerly TP 79)
- R 84 - Standard Practice for Developing Dynamic Modulus Master Curves for Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) Using the Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT) (formerly PP 61)
- New FHWA Course Introduces the Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester in FOCUS, January/February 2011, page 3.
- Questions and Answers
- Testing for Fatigue Cracking in the Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester
- Asphalt Material Characterization for AASHTOWare® Pavement ME Design Using an Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT)
- Asphalt Mixture Performance Tester (AMPT)