Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)
Asphalt Pavement Recycling with Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP). This webpage provides information on the use of RAP in flexible pavements. https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/recycling/rap/.
High Performance High RAP Asphalt Mixes
Observations and findings from recent research (NCHRP Report 927: Evaluating the Effects of Recycling Agents on Asphalt Mixtures with High RAS and RAP Binder Ratios) and field reviews of practices across the country (A Field Review: Successful Practices and Lessons Learned When Using Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles in Asphalt Mixtures) provide evidence that asphalt mixtures containing higher reclaimed binder content (i.e., 30 to 50 percent reclaimed binder ratio) can perform well and be practically and responsibly produced. Additionally, asphalt mixtures containing 30 to 50 percent reclaimed binder content may be a promising and short term path toward attaining owner agency sustainability goals.
- Tech Brief: Resource Responsible Use of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement in Asphalt Mixtures, FHWA-HIF-22-003 2021
- Successful Use of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement in Asphalt Mixtures, Cooperative Agreement Materials
- TechBrief: State of the Knowledge for Use of Asphalt Mixtures with Reclaimed Binder Content, FHWA-HIF-18-059, 2018
- Asphalt Pavement Recycling with Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)
- Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement in Asphalt Mixtures: State of the Practice, FHWA-HRT-11-021, 2011