FHWA Recycling Policy
FHWA recognize the need to increase our highway industry's overall use of recycled materials. There are several reasons to be pro-recycle:
- Cost savings potential
- life cycle cost and engineering performance
- Reduction in landfill
- Stewardship of our environment
FHWA's Recycling Policy has several key points:
- Recycling can offer engineering, economic and environmental benefits.
- Recycled materials should get first consideration in overall materials selection.
- Engineering and environmental properties are important.
- Life Cycle Cost benefits assessment is warranted.
- Restrictions prohibiting recycled material that are without technical basis should be removed.
- NHI Course # 131050A - Asphalt Pavement Recycling Technologies - A joint effort between FHWA Recycling Team, Asphalt Recycling and Reclamation Association (ARRA), and National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT) has produced a noteworthy course that provides in-depth technical knowledge of several asphalt recycling technologies (in-place and plant). ARRA's "Basic Asphalt Recycling Manual" is used as a reference in this course. Course is ready for your agency's training program.
- T5040.37 Use of Recycled Concrete Pavement as Aggregate in Hydraulic-Cement Concrete Pavement